Colorado

I finally have some pics to share of the Silkies hatched on NYD and the following Saturday (1/4/14). They moved to the coop brooder today, and I have 4 more plus 2 Egyptian Fayoumis hatched this weekend that will go into the house brooder for a few days and then also move out to the coop brooder.

I finally have some pics to share of the Silkies hatched on NYD and the following Saturday (1/4/14). They moved to the coop brooder today, and I have 4 more plus 2 Egyptian Fayoumis hatched this weekend that will go into the house brooder for a few days and then also move out to the coop brooder.

Oh I can't wait!!! They are so cute!

So thanks to Margie I'll have an incubator for eggs. Does anyone have a suggestion for hatching eggs, my kids will be trying to show them for 4H. (Breeds, Egg suppliers.....)

Last edited:
I know nothing of showing 4H, but would think any of the bantam breeds would be easy to raise, and show. Maybe check with your local 4H, they may have a list of people who sell hatching eggs. Where you looking for Seabrights at one time? Did you ever find any Seabright breeders? They sure are cute!

Make sure you calibrate the incubator for your house and altitude, if it has a built in thermometer, can't stress this enough. For your first try, I would not spend a lot on the hatching eggs, as it is a learning experience, at least it was for me! :D

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your little fuzzy ones when they hatch!

I am borrowing this image to torture a friend. ;)

I know nothing of showing 4H, but would think any of the bantam breeds would be easy to raise, and show. Maybe check with your local 4H, they may have a list of people who sell hatching eggs. Where you looking for Seabrights at one time? Did you ever find any Seabright breeders? They sure are cute!

Make sure you calibrate the incubator for your house and altitude, if it has a built in thermometer, can't stress this enough. For your first try, I would not spend a lot on the hatching eggs, as it is a learning experience, at least it was for me!
big_smile.png

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your little fuzzy ones when they hatch!
Thanks for the thoughts. Good stuff to work on here.
The Sebrights are tough to get your hands on if like me you try to avoid mass Hatcheries and you don't want to spend a fortune!
Thanks for the bator pointers, I'm gonna need them.

So thanks to Margie I'll have an incubator for eggs. Does anyone have a suggestion for hatching eggs, my kids will be trying to show them for 4H. (Breeds, Egg suppliers.....)

I agree bantams are great for showmanship for 4H, but if they are just doing the show any bird is good. The more unusual breeds usually place better just because of less competition.
I also agree to do a trial run with some local eggs first. Wildfire farms in Erie sells hatching eggs. They are barnyard mixes but we have a cochin that hatched from her eggs that is one of our favorites. That's where we are getting our first batch from to test our incubator.

I agree bantams are great for showmanship for 4H, but if they are just doing the show any bird is good. The more unusual breeds usually place better just because of less competition.
I also agree to do a trial run with some local eggs first. Wildfire farms in Erie sells hatching eggs. They are barnyard mixes but we have a cochin that hatched from her eggs that is one of our favorites. That's where we are getting our first batch from to test our incubator.
Thanks for the help.
I think I'll pull some eggs from my girls and do a test run on them. My Roo is a little over a year old. I'll see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom