Colorado

I have a chick I'm still questioning too. I knew our 1 definite roo at 3 weeks. This one doesn't have the comb our roo does but it is larger than others and is pink, though not red like the definite roo. I'm still thinking girl but it keeps me guessing. It's so hard when they are all different breeds because you can't really compare them.
*sigh*

The girls are still going in the box I planted with an egg. No more broken eggs at this point. Question for those more experienced... Our nest box is about a foot off the ground. The nest box has a lip of ~2". I think this should keep them in the nest box until they all hatch. Agree?
I planned to move her and the chicks after they hatch to a pet crate under the coop with food/water in it (door open during the day) so they can explore and eat/drink without worry of falling since our coop is 2' off the ground with no food/water inside it. Sound good? I was about to ask how old you think the chicks need to be before they can make the trek in and out of the coop, but then realized their mama would probably know best and shuttle them in their when she's ready to be out of the crate. Opinions?

Hello everyone! My hubby & I just bought a home in the Springs (by the airport) which has a huge backyard. We are looking to get chicks this weekend if possible. We would prefer egg laying hens! Any tips on where to go or who to contact? We are complete newbies! :) Thank you!

Hello everyone! My hubby & I just bought a home in the Springs (by the airport) which has a huge backyard. We are looking to get chicks this weekend if possible. We would prefer egg laying hens! Any tips on where to go or who to contact? We are complete newbies!
smile.png
Thank you!

Are you looking for young chicks that need to be inside under heat or something that is ready to go outside?

The whole flock seems to be getting along so I'm going to take down the partition in the coop and see how they handle spending the night together. Hopefully the mom stays with her chicks to keep them warm and doesn't go straight for the roost now that she can reach it.

The chicks had a great time dustbathing today in spite of the wind.

0.jpg

Hello everyone! My hubby & I just bought a home in the Springs (by the airport) which has a huge backyard. We are looking to get chicks this weekend if possible. We would prefer egg laying hens! Any tips on where to go or who to contact? We are complete newbies!
smile.png
Thank you!
welcome-byc.gif
There will be a lot of options for you. Have fun getting set up! If you are looking for baby chicks, then get cold hardy sexed chicks, ie pullet chicks or you can look around and get some started birds that are ready to go outside and won't need supplemental heat.
pullet=female

Last edited:
I would keep any broody at ground level, one may hatch early and end up outside the box with no way of getting back in, then momma hen may leave the nest to go be with the one one that fell out, and so eggs would get cold. A dog crate works great, I put a small water and food bowl in with them. You can also block off part of the nest opening with a small section of wood, it gives her privacy and keeps the nosy hens out! lol

Your hen should take care of her chicks, she will chase anyone off that she thinks is a threat to them, they should do fine out with the flock.

What wind? We had some snow come through earlier, but no wind...... yet!

Hey all, long time no see! I've been busy (as I'm sure you all have, too) with getting things going for the summer! I've been watching my girls and some have molted at what I think are strange times, but their feathers have come back gorgeous and full and healthy. Except for one of my buff orpingtons. She has been 'molting' for at least 2 months now and I've been wondering if it isn't a molt and perhaps something else? None of the other girls are having issues. The scales on the legs are all healthy and happy. But this orpington has frazzled feathers all over her body, appears to be losing them around her crop in the front and hasn't had much coverage over the crown of her head or around her 'ears' for quite some time.... She is pretty much second bird in the pecking order and has no one picking on her, there has been no blood drawn, nobody appears to be sneezing or otherwise ill. Aside from the weird feathering there really isn't anything amiss with her! I have 5 girls, one is broody and I'm getting about 3 eggs a day. I think I should be getting more (they are all just around a year old) but I'm not sure...I have a few pics to see if that would help. The first is of the feathers in the front and the other two are of the crown area where she is also missing some feathers. Thanks for your help!

:welcome    There will be a lot of options for you.  Have fun getting set up!  If you are looking for baby chicks, then get cold hardy sexed chicks, ie pullet chicks or you can look around and get some started birds that are ready to go outside and won't need supplemental heat. 
pullet=female

Looks like we will be making a trip up to Hardwick Farms to look at their Buff Opingtons (?) that are 4 weeks old! We are excited!

Back
Top Bottom