Colorado

Shy, I'm surprised they let them live, must have been too entertained to kill them!

Ashdoes, if my wry necked Silie is any comparison, she was better after about a week but I continued the vitamins for 2 weeks.

Shy, I'm surprised they let them live, must have been too entertained to kill them!

Ashdoes, if my wry necked Silie is any comparison, she was better after about a week but I continued the vitamins for 2 weeks.

She was in her shell all night, decided to be lazy and not get out. So I "peeled her" and her neck seemed to be kinked so that she looked into her side. Now she's walking more, but is looking down mostly.
The Cream I had to peel that morning is fine though, but he's a lot smaller then this Cochin mix. Beefy little things. Thanks.

I'm feeling pretty sorry for my one remaining broody. The rest of the flock seems to have taken a disliking for her. When she comes out for her daily dustbath they pounce on her every time she settles down and peck at her constantly. One of the girls is a lot more aggressive and I have seen fights every day where they launch at each other about 3-4 feet in the air, talons pointed at each others breast. Oh my i would have thought they were roosters.

Also, one question. I had the impression that broodys usually came out once a day for a very short time, but mine stays out 3-4 hours. Is that OK? I could lock her in and limit her time out if necessary. Other than that, she faithfully sits her eggs without seeming to move an inch.

One of my little Cochin Cream mixes has a funky neck arch. I'm giving her the vitamin drops, how long and how often till I'll know if it's fixed?
Give her extra vitamin E. That helped ours that had wry neck. We put 2 drops a day in her beak, within a week she was normal but I've heard of it taking longer too.

I'm feeling pretty sorry for my one remaining broody.  The rest of the flock seems to have taken a disliking for her.  When she comes out for her daily dustbath they pounce on her every time she settles down and peck at her constantly.  One of the girls is a lot more aggressive and I have seen fights every day where they launch at each other about 3-4 feet in the air, talons pointed at each others breast.  Oh my i would have thought they were roosters.

Also, one question.  I had the impression that broodys usually came out once a day for a very short time, but mine stays out 3-4 hours.  Is that OK?  I could lock her in and limit her time out if necessary.  Other than that, she faithfully sits her eggs without seeming to move an inch.

My flock got a little aggressive with our broodies as well, so we ended up closing the middle stall so they had an area to be in safely. Our Silkie almost never left her eggs, but the Cochin girl got up often. I think being bigger, she got hot and needed a break more often. Her eggs hatched just fine.
Once the eggs hatch, your broody won't let the other birds bully her, she'll go in mama mode and keep the other chickens away from her babies.

I'm wondering if any of you have advice in regards to the chicks a broody raises. This is the first time I've let a broody raise chicks. The ones I let my RIR raise are smaller than the ones I raised in the brooder (likely from constantly running around), and MUCH wilder and very difficult to catch. I have tried making friends with them since they were small. They have been unresponsive, even to food. They are flighty as can be. It may be a low maintenance way of raising chicks, but so far I'm really unimpressed by the development of their dispositions. The contrast between the brooder chicks, which follow me around the backyard like dogs vs. the wild broody-raised chicks that stay 5 yards away from me is crazy. Do other people experience this with broody raised chicks?

I'm wondering if any of you have advice in regards to the chicks a broody raises. This is the first time I've let a broody raise chicks. The ones I let my RIR raise are smaller than the ones I raised in the brooder (likely from constantly running around), and MUCH wilder and very difficult to catch. I have tried making friends with them since they were small. They have been unresponsive, even to food. They are flighty as can be. It may be a low maintenance way of raising chicks, but so far I'm really unimpressed by the development of their dispositions. The contrast between the brooder chicks, which follow me around the backyard like dogs vs. the wild broody-raised chicks that stay 5 yards away from me is crazy. Do other people experience this with broody raised chicks?

I agree the broody raised chicks are much more feral, it's kind of a trade-off - you get chicks you can't catch that know how to stay alive. As they get older and recognize you as the food-bringer, they'll get better.

I'm wondering if any of you have advice in regards to the chicks a broody raises.  This is the first time I've let a broody raise chicks.  The ones I let my RIR raise are smaller than the ones I raised in the brooder (likely from constantly running around), and MUCH wilder and very difficult to catch.  I have tried making friends with them since they were small.  They have been unresponsive, even to food.  They are flighty as can be.  It may be a low maintenance way of raising chicks, but so far I'm really unimpressed by the development of their dispositions.  The contrast between the brooder chicks, which follow me around the backyard like dogs vs. the wild broody-raised chicks that stay 5 yards away from me is crazy.  Do other people experience this with broody raised chicks?

That is something I noticed as well. I have Cochins that I brooder raised, that come when I yell "chick chick chick" but their chicks they brooded keep a wide distance. We are outside a lot, but they're still not very happy to be around us, and are always the last two to arrive for treats.

Quick question for everyone..how much would you pay for one of these treadle feeders? I'm looking for a project for my father-in-law, and this seems like something people would actually be interested in.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom