Colorado

Congrats to all the Chickens Mama's! I've been catching up after being rather busy the last week or so. I thought I'd share a funny picture of my Broody grandson Jack with his Easter eggs! Too Funny!

Congrats to all the Chickens Mama's! I've been catching up after being rather busy the last week or so. I thought I'd share a funny picture of my Broody grandson Jack with his Easter eggs! Too Funny!

OH Dear. Now that is one very broody look there.
Don't attempt to take those eggs whatever you do!

SOOOOO My little ones have a larger area and outside space that is all there's now. LOL I have to laugh at how very silly they looked today when I went to close the pop doors and not everyone was inside. Tiny polish Jennifer thought she could out run me and get to not be touched by a HUMAN. LOL no luck little one. But that hairdo running away from me did make me pause to have a good laugh. Such big hair for such a little chick. It made her head look 5 times to big.

That is my chicken funny for the day. Thank you for reading.

I have a question for everyone:

My 2 mixed chicks are going to turn 3wks old next week, right when the shipped eggs should start hatching. Can I put the just hatched chicks (assuming any hatch) in with the other 2 despite the age difference or am I just asking for trouble doing that?

My current 2 are still pretty tiny and not fully feathered out, so I don't want to move them outside by themselves just yet. Also, I like having them around despite their scratching in the brooder in the middle of the night sounding exactly like the scratching sounds in the movie Deliver Us From Evil that I thought would be great to watch when I couldn't sleep. But more seriously, I know that I need to get them used to being outside and eventually start the process of integrating them with their parent flock, I'm just worried about them being out in our barn at night. If I can keep both sets of chicks together until the first 2 are a little bigger/fully feathered, I'd feel better about it. However, if putting them all in the same brooder would cause mayhem I'll keep them separated.

Is there a way you can put a wire divider in the brooder and keep them separate but still together? I think you will be ok......but be prepared just in case some one decides to pick at the new babies. Even a cardboard divider to keep them apart for a few days until the new ones get a bit stronger may be needed.

Uzi, You have the cutest little monsters. I love the automatic stink eye that one gives. I know you wont let anyone do any picking, just be ready since it may happen.

Yeah, the age difference won't matter after a week, especially with how tiny your first two are. You actually don't have to integrate the babies anytime soon with the adults. You could just put the new babies in with the older two and see what happens, that is what I would and have done.

Is there a way you can put a wire divider in the brooder and keep them separate but still together? I think you will be ok......but be prepared just in case some one decides to pick at the new babies. Even a cardboard divider to keep them apart for a few days until the new ones get a bit stronger may be needed.

Uzi, You have the cutest little monsters. I love the automatic stink eye that one gives. I know you wont let anyone do any picking, just be ready since it may happen.

Good idea. Thank you! I'll get a mini divider just in case. That look is straight from the rooster. They definitely inherited most of their traits from him, physically & personality wise. They stand up really tall, give the dogs the evil eye & then hop onto my shoulder & hide in my hair when the dogs bark. They crack me up on a daily basis.

Yeah, the age difference won't matter after a week, especially with how tiny your first two are. You actually don't have to integrate the babies anytime soon with the adults. You could just put the new babies in with the older two and see what happens, that is what I would and have done.

Thank you! I'm hoping to get the grow out pen built this weekend as long as I don't have to go to the hospital again (long story short, I ended up getting a mild concussion last Friday that may/may not be bad enough to make my preexisiting brain trauma worse). I didn't want rush anything with it, just wanted to be prepared to start letting them run around outside more. It's been so windy here that today, they jumped out of the travel crate all excited to scratch in the dirt but turned around & went back in the box because of the wind. I just need to build something more secure than some wire fencing around a tiny dog travel crate that I can eventually place near the parent flock so they can get used to each other.

Some minor disappointment this week. The broody I thought would adopt some new chicks has failed. At first she took them under her and all seemed to be going well but she wouldn't let them out to eat or drink and wouldn't even try to leave the nest to take care of her own needs. I eventually took the chicks to the food and water and when they were satisfied and wanted to return to mom for warmth she started pecking them on the head really hard so I had to bring them back to the brooder inside the house. Now broody just sits on the nest with the thousand yard stare so it's off to the broody buster cage for a couple days of rehab. Last year was the first time I gave chicks to a broody (a different hen) and they took to each other quite well.

Located in northern Colorado, and my family and I are searching for a couple Olive Easter Eggers to add to our flock! Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom