Colorado

Blah. I am sick of the rain now. I never say that, but there it is...blah rain rain go away...

Yeah, I would be happier if I got my garden in before this rain too.I did get some kale and chard and shallots and leeks in...I was going to get the tomatoes in, but it is going to be too cold tomorrow night so I waited.

21hens, remind us what breed and age the birds you are selling are?

Megshen. What did the hatchery say about the shipment of mystery birds you got?

The birds I am looking to sell are as follows...

4 Partridge Rock pullets hatched out last week of Feb so 9 weeks or so old
2 Dark Brahma pullets hatched out mid feb so 10 to 11 weeks old
2 Iowa Blue pullets (not birchin but all black) hatched out end of first week of March so 8 weeks old
3 Buff Laced Polish pullets hatched out very end of Feb so just now 9 weeks old
(Jennifer CAN see!) I tested her again this morning.

I also have 3 BSL that are going on a little over 2 weeks old that I can let go for 6 dollars each. Still needing heat lamp of course.
I plan to ask $15 each or 3 for $40, 4 for $50 etc.
All of the ones listed that are older are vaccinated for mereks except the Iowas.

If the polish do not sell I am ok with that. I can keep them in the segregated part of the coop and put the other bantams in with them.
I just know that 23 chicks in the 5x8 section of the coop is very very crowded now and don't see it working for another month. (they do have run access but it is just to many in that space)

Last edited:
Hi so figured I would brighten everyone's cold and rainy day with some week old chick pics! Yea for :jumpy, I am in love! So cool to have come full circle with our flock from a year ago. We have had a lot of ups and downs this first year with them but we couldn't be happier. I cannot wait to see these buggers develop.

Day Three - we introduced some worms from the compost to the gang. It took a bit while they chirped about the weird looking invaders into their brooder all the while not being able to leave the worms alone. One would be brave and peck it then toss it across the brooder and everyone would scatter. This went on for a bit until one brave BO x EE decided they were good to eat, then it was game over for the worms.

Day Four - the gang got a plug of sod from our front yard. Again it took them a bit but then they made a mess.

Day Five - they got introduced to fermented feed. Took them a bit but now they love it but make a mess. The feeder I have for them is too long for the current brooder so I put out FF twice a day for about 30 minutes in lids. The rest of the time they have dry food available.

They also got straw and a log introduced into their brooder.

Overall it was a big first week in the life of our chicks. Also upload individual shots of each chick to my profile page. Here is the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6981251/fiesty-fifteen-week-1/

Last edited:
Is everybody ok in this storm???? We are ok down here in Penrose We are in our basement becuase of it coming and the chicks are sitting sext to me praying for it to not produce a tornado

We have had Thunder snow here this morning, no tornado watch that I know of. Rained, and I mean really rained ALL night long. Not sure how much snow we are supposed to get, but they did say it could be a significant amount. Yikes!

Those are some cute chicks, going to be great layers too!

Stay warm, dry and safe everyone!!!!!!

Yes, keep safe everyone. Hate tornadoes! I will stick with the nasty snow which is starting to fall. uggghhh I guess I will go top off the waters because I just know we are going to lose power with this one, hopefully not for days or even one day really. Till then
hugs.gif

I got a Speckled Sussex for her, same age, and she's now beating up the Cochin. Whaaaat do I doooooo :rolleyes: they're separated now, but she's still trying the peck at her. I don't know if we're cut out for chickens haha we've never done it before and I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job. :/

Chickens can be fickle for sure. Try putting a barrier between them that she can see through but not get through. Leave it there for a couple days and then remove it at night when they should be sleeping. LOL or get more chicks. The more there are the harder it is for one to become a lone target. I would go with something a bit younger than the cochin. She needs to be the one in charge.

How old is the cochin? I forget sometimes and need some old people memory help.
big_smile.png

Also how long ago did you get the new chick? It can take a few days for them to get used to each other. I would watch them together and intervene if there is repeated pecking. A single peck here and there is to be expected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom