Colorado

I was wondering if there was anyone who has a buff orpington rooster. I have two hens and would like to see about getting come chicks out of them while it is still warm. I'm not looking to by the rooster, but some arrangements can be made.

@uzisuzuki So cute! :love I can't believe they already have so many wing feathers. I bet you'll have lots of fun watching them grow.

My quail had an exciting weekend as they got moved to the new house. There is a big dog run that I decided would make a great place for my quail. I wrapped the bottom with chicken wire so they couldn't get out and left an apron that I planned to staple to the railroad ties that were all around the run. The quail had been in the carrier for a long time by the time we had finished attaching the wire so I decided I would let them out and then go around and staple. Well one of them decided she needed an adventure and walked right under the wire and was out in the field. I discovered that quail can fly about 200 ft. Luckily I found her with the help of my dog. Poor thing was hiding under a tree. We got the rest of the run secure but not before a few more tried to get out. It seems to be secure now and no one has gone missing.

Yesterday I added lots of pine branches and they were in heaven exploring under the branches. I even found eggs though they might just be what was already in their systems. My niece never paid much attention to them in their old cage but now that she can easily see them and walk among them she gets really excited. She calls them tweet tweets.
IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG

I was surprised, too! They're already flying out of the brooder! They keep falling asleep in my hands & I'm so in love with them. They're just adorable.

I would love to have all those branches to add into my pens! I've been trying to get the net ceiling raised on my aviary for about a month now, but that last year at work made my disabilities regress so badly that I'm not getting much done.

My brother was trimming a spruce in his backyard so I really lucked out on getting a bunch of branches. I didn't have any left. I read a post in the quail section about someone who got fake Christmas trees cheap during the after sales and put them in her quail run. I thought that was a great idea since the pine needles on real branches tend to fall off pretty fast in our dry weather and hot sun. Plus there's only so many branches you can cut off before your trees start looking funny. :lol:

Hi new to group was wondering who in Co are in Thornton. I'm in a mix I guess want a duel purpose like wyndotts brahmas cochins is this a good breed to have in the co heat during summer

*Update: we found him a new home this afternoon!*
Good Morning!
Is there anyone in the greater Denver area looking for a roo? I have a very handsome 13 week old White Plymouth Rock that needs a new home. He has found his voice, and we aren't zoned for roos :( We are in Arvada.

Attachments

• IMG_20170612_080551.jpg
    IMG_20170612_080551.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi Seth! I am north in Loveland.
:welcome
The Brahma and standard Cochin's need a lot of shade and cool water here in Colorado.
I have found that Wyandotte's kept confined are jerks and turn mean.
For egg production I can recommend Black Australorp. They are mellow enough to be able to be housed with Brahma and Cochin's. Both of those breeds are super laid back and don't do well with hyper or dominant breeds. Don't like black birds.... How about Buff Orpingtons?

Hi BackyardCO!
I wish I could help. We are allowed roosters BUT I have a neighbor that works nights. My accidental rooster is already aggressive so will be in the freezer. I do hope you find a place for him.

:welcome

I'm kind of near Thornton - out east by Brighton, but can't help on dual purpose breeds since mine are mostly all bantams! Also can't help with the rooster since I now have 6! I'm pretty sure that while Weld County doesn't have bans on roosters, I've reached my personal limit right now with my current set up. :)

I'm still in love with my peachicks. Fin loves to fly up onto my shoulder & trying to pull out my eyelashes. Still not sure, but I think both Fin & Mim are males since the barring pattern is showing up on their shoulder feathers. Not sure at all about Sy since the feathers coming in are just turning black/purple.

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

Back
Top Bottom