Colorado

Hello everyone, it's been a long while. Happy New Year!

I'm excited that the days are getting longer again. My girls are gearing up and many have started laying again. I plan to start collecting eggs next weekend to put a batch in the incubator. I had some extra cockerels I culled recently and want to make sure I don't get any of their offspring. Seems one of the ones from last year was able to get one by last year before I got him. I know because one of my pullets is clearly not from my rooster. She has waddles and muffs, a straight comb, and both her eyes are split in half with two different colors. She is an odd one, but I decided to keep her.

As for hatcheries, I have ordered from Meyer and Murray McMurray. I was happy with both the health of the chicks and the service I received from the hatcheries. For me the biggest factor was the post office. When I had then ship to the Peyton PO many chicks didn't make it. Depending on the route the poor things took two or three days. I decided to use my parents address in the Springs after that. Those always came in one day and all survived.

Is anyone looking for a rooster? I have Three Buff Orpintons and they have begun trying to mate with their sisters. They are seven months old. I just have too much rooster for six hens, hens being six months old. Tall my Buff Orpintons came from the same parent rooster.

IMG_2105.JPG

Very nice looking! I am staying with my smaller combed chooks as they seem to do better up here in the wind and cold. All of my big pointed roos would get frostbite and then look like dinosaurs with a smooth rounded crest on their heads.
I hope you find good homes for them!

Unfortunately, my sanctuary is at 10 roosters right now & that’s my personal max. I don’t know if there are any other poultry sanctuaries, specifically, but you might want to check with local animal shelters. That’s where I rescued one of the roosters I took in last year.

Been super quiet around here. Thankful we did not get any of the subzero weather others are having to endure. Enjoying the sunshine and doing some early spring cleaning.
Finally in eggs again. Geese laid their first of the year yesterday Not sure if I will hatch any. If anyone is interested in hatching Sebastopol eggs let me know .

Utube it and the traffic cone holder works great. Make sure you have a knife that is surgically sharp.
It is always hard but know that the birds are not being wasted and after your first bowl of soup, you will appreciate your birds even more.
Don't be hard on yourself if you make a mistake, just learn and go on.

Back
Top Bottom