Colorado

Hmmm  we got 20% lay pellets yesterday at Ranch-Way here in Ft Collins, item number C2021BP-50.  Figured we'd get 2 since the price was going up...each 50# bag was $16.60.  I wonder if your store could order it for you.

Ours will eat thistles as long as I get them before they get too big...which works cuz I sure don't wanna pull 'em when they're big...ouch!  LOL  I wish ours would eat that dang goat's head as well, but nope, no way, no how.  There are a number of weeds we have and I don't have a clue what they are, but there are several they won't eat, which is a bummer, but heck...that's what the compost pile is for!  ;)

i'm sure i could find it at one of the three feed stores out here, but i'm a purina girl since my dad works there and gets a discount. i just give them high protein snacks. they love egg yolks, which is good because i hate them but love the whites. i also give them meal worms when i don't have egg yolks.

sorry about the lack of capitals for some reason byc doesnt like my shift or caps key on the phone.

I've read a lot of conflicting things about the "proper" protein percentage. I would say if you can get a discount, go for it!! There's lots of protein supplements you can give them for very little money if you think they need it. Mine are crazy about yogurt and I've started making my own using powdered milk. It's way cheaper than buying the stuff and since I use the live culture, it also gives 'em good flora in their gut. I'm going to start a mealworm far here in the next month or so as well...you can grow 'em for next to nothing and it'll be a great source of protein for 'em. :)

I've read a lot of conflicting things about the "proper" protein percentage.  I would say if you can get a discount, go for it!!   There's lots of protein supplements you can give them for very little money if you think they need it.  Mine are crazy about yogurt and I've started making my own using powdered milk.  It's way cheaper than buying the stuff and since I use the live culture, it also gives 'em good flora in their gut. I'm going to start a mealworm far here in the next month or so as well...you can grow 'em for next to nothing and it'll be a great source of protein for 'em.  :)

Is there a limit to the amount of worms they should have?

Well I wouldn't give them several pounds of 'em, LOL. But a quarter cup per bird over the course of a day two or three times a week seems reasonable. You do need to keep an eye on their total protein intake, so consider how much is in their feed and whatever else you give them. I usually give mine only one source about every other day...if the get beans one day, I skip the next day, then maybe yogurt, skip a day, then cheese....and so on.

My girls had the Treat of Treats today. My MIL bought Danishes while she was here and left two. DH and i try to stay healthy and those are definantly on our no-no list. They got raspberry today and will get the apple tomorrow. :D :lol:

I had a huge container of supper worms in oatmeal, they loved digging for the worms and eating the mess they made after. Up till the end they would only get a few worms but they they became experts and I had to limit them more. By experts I mean they would make a huge mess that they could not possibly clean up.
wink.png

Last edited:
Thought I'd introduce myself here - new chicken keeper in Stapleton, Denver. Picked up 3 pullets last weekend and have been trying to figure out what is routine, what they like to eat and such over the past week. Very pleased that last night they put themselves to bed on their own without having to be chased back into the coop from the evening free-ranging. Starting small and looking forward to our first eggs at some point in the next couple weeks! Coop pictures are in my profile, fairly pleased with how it turned out without any true plans - just following pictures I found on the site here.

Welcome, from Englewood! That is a nice looking coop you built! But, be forewarned - you can kiss that beautiful grass in the run goodbye real soon!
lol.png

OK. going to hijack the thread for a sec... Now that I own a new toaster (KIA soul), I've been shopping around for insurance (presently with Progressive). Geico is the least expensive by a long shot...like 33% cheaper. Anyone have any experience with them on either side of a claim? They are so much lower in price than the competition I wonder if their claim service / customer service suffers as a result.

Mo

Last edited:
OK. going to hijack the thread for a sec... Now that I own a new toaster (KIA soul), I've been shopping around for insurance (presently with Progressive). Geico is the least expensive by a long shot...like 33% cheaper. Anyone have any experience with them on either side of a claim? They are so much lower in price than the competition I wonder if their claim service / customer service suffers as a result.

Mo
Mo,
We have used Geico for several years now. They have been good to deal with. When our Durango was hit several years ago, the vehicle at fault was also insured by Geico and it was an easy process, very good to work with. Also, when Hannah was riding in a car that was involved in an accident, Geico went out of their way to make sure Hannah (our youngest daughter) was taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom