Colorado

How did you make yours?
I put mine in service yesterday.... working great.
I used the cookie tins and installed a 100 watt lamp in them. I set the tins on a stone block, then set the 3 gal. waters on the heater. Wife checked them as soon as daylight came...cool water, but nothing frozen!

Joe
I took an empty 5 gallon hydraulic fluid can and cut off the bottom to about 6-7 inches tall. I then mounted a light bulb base onto a piece of plywood and another couple on top of that to raise up the can and to make a recess for the can so it would stay put. Plugged a thermostat plug (on at 35*, off at 45*) into the base wires, put a 25-100 watt (depending on how cold it gets) into the socket. Place the can bottom over the whole thing and top with your favorite waterer. I posted some photos a few weeks ago, they should still be available via my profile link. Otherwise I can send some to you. I am currently using a 25 watt bulb and it seems to be working fine. Not too hot, not much electricity draw, just enough to keep the water from freezing.
When we get another emply can at work I will make one more.

Well, my girls and boys are happy as heck. :) They got the leftover lasagna all for themselves. Even my pig of a cockerel was happy. There was so much the bigger hens didn't bother chasing him off. His normal MO is to dart in, grab the biggest beakful he possibly can and then dart away. This time he just took two steps back, wolfed what he had grabbed and stepped back for more. :lol: Everyone is happy. :)

Hi All,
I am hoping someone here can recommend a water bucket heater. I have 2 five gallon buckets in my chicken yard that keep freezing, I don't want the nipples to break. Any suggestions on a water heater that works well? Thanks in advance!

Could not resist snapping a pic of three of my girls standing on the back porch rail peeking into the house tonight :)

And one of my Blue Cochin:

Hi All,
I am hoping someone here can recommend a water bucket heater. I have 2 five gallon buckets in my chicken yard that keep freezing, I don't want the nipples to break. Any suggestions on a water heater that works well? Thanks in advance!

The only bucket heaters I've ever used were the ones we used to heat the horses' bath water, which would get way too hot, but I'm pretty sure there are those with thermostats used in troughs to keep them from freezing, and I think someone on another thread said she was using a bird bath heater in her bucket this year, which should work.

Back
Top Bottom