Colored Easter Chicks

Quote:
My understanding is you can do it for marking your birds but you cant do it to sell them.

This is my understanding too. It is only illegal for producing to sell. However, koolaid and a foam tipped paint brush works good too without having to compromise the egg.

Quote:
I don't know about it being illegal in the the whole USA...the OP said they saw them in their area each easter. I do know it not allowed in NY state. As is selling less than 6 chicks at the retail level. You can fewer than 6 birds from a local breeder but not from a retail store.

Quote:
I don't know about it being illegal in the the whole USA...the OP said they saw them in their area each easter. I do know it not allowed in NY state. As is selling less than 6 chicks at the retail level. You can fewer than 6 birds from a local breeder but not from a retail store.

I have seen them in La and MS. That doesn't mean it's not illegal but they're here every year.Colored rabbits are also sold.

i actually tried to dye some eggs one time, i found this old thread, it was a newspaper article, and it was a german newspaper article i think, but the point is i read that you use 5cc's of vegetable coloring to do it none of the eggs hatched though, it was disappointing, however i did mess up too, i actually injected the dye into the egg after two weeks of incubation, i guess i read the article wrong, because, when i went to that thread again after my attempt failed, it actually said to inject the eggs 4 hours before they hatch, so maybe this does work i just didn't do it right, doesn't help to say that i was also using a little giant incubator also

........., and, IT WAS TO BE INJECTED INTO THE SMALL END OF THE EGG, OTHERWISE I THINK YOU WOULD FILL THEIR AIR SAC WITH FOOD COLORING, BY INJECTING INTO THE FAT END

Wilco Farm Stores in Oregon had dyed chicks and ducklings for sale last spring, so I don't think it's illegal here. The colors were incredibly vibrant on the White Leghorn chicks; on the yellow Pekin ducklings not so much. Green was the most spectacular color. The salesperson told me the eggs were injected with food coloring a a week or so before hatch; the embryos swallowed it so the color was absorbed internally. These were unsexed chicks and ducklings (i.e. cockerels and drakes), and they were double the price of the un-dyed ones. I think it's ethically wrong because even if the babies aren't hurt by the procedure, for most people they will be an impulse buy. When the color fades and the baby starts crowing the novelty will wear off. Sad.

Yeah its to bad the companies/people selling these colored chicks get the blame for lazy,irresponsible and uninformed customer.

Back
Top Bottom