Colored Easter Chicks

robnms

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Gulf Coast MS
I was wondering if anyone hatches chicks to color them for Easter and how do you get them colored without getting it in their eyes/feet/beak? I see them every year so where do they come from?

I think it's done by injecting the color into the egg. The color stays until the chick grows new feathers.

Quote:
So if I inject salt and pepper with a dash of Tobasco, I should be good to go for breakfast?

yuckyuck.gif

I thought you were being funny, I'm sorry. I still can't believe you can inject dye into an egg that's in the bator, I would think it would effect the hatch rate. I would think it would be easier to put the dye in a spray bottle and paint'em up. Mardi Gras is coming, I might have some KOOL looking chicks to show off!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know about your breakfast, but here is how it's done. If that's what you wanted to know.

That site is probably not correct I have a copy of The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow and it shows and tells how to do it. It says to do it 1/2" from the pointy end but the site says to do it at the big end. In the book its talking about it as a way to identify chicks but it is the same thing as dying them for easter.

By the way I suggest that if anyone doesnt own this book but you own chickens that you add it to your collection because it is full of lots of great info.

I started this just to see if some of us actually do this to make a few bucks, I never thought that you could inject dye in a egg still developing in the bator. Did you notice what day it would be to do the coloring?

Back
Top Bottom