Colored Easter Chicks

Interesting. I learn something new everyday on here.
caf.gif

People listen to me. If you want to entertain your children for Easter while adding a few new really good layers to your flock, buy some White Leghorn chicks and use Koolaid and a foam tipped paint brush. Their fluff absorbs it quickly, you are not compromising eggs, and it grows out. Is there ever REALLY a need to stick a needle into an egg you are trying to give life to?

Last edited:
Quote:
Ding! Ding! Ding! And we have a winner!
Just rub some food dye or koolaid onto the chicks after they hatch....MUCH safer!!!!

Putting up a sign for all the unwanted chicks and ducklings is a good idea. So many of them are bought because they are cute but then abandoned. Needless to say I see white pekin ducks on the lake with Canadian geese. Wrong, just wrong.

Every feed store in the parish has colored chicks & bunnies for Easter. Makes for alot of impulse buys, but luckily most who buy already have chickens or know someone that does when the novelty wears off.

I don't like coloring chicks becuase it makes them look like toys and most of them end up dead in a few weeks. You can color chicks by injecting the embroy and covering it with wax till the egg hatches. I don't know the exact steps so look it up, but make sure you are selling it to some one who will take care of it. Listening to kids whine about getting a little pink chick makes me sick, and when the parents buy three, I want to faint. Dying chicks is illegeal in some states, so make sure your not breaking any laws.

Don't sell them. You'll just be contributing to the thousands of dyed chicks sold as easter gifts or to apease whiny kids that later die or are disposed of. People who love chickens accept that they are the color they were meant to be.

Back
Top Bottom