Colored Rangers Grow Out Journal/ Video Added pg 11

Not intending to be pushy, but I've been anxiously awaiting a final report. They were processed last weekend, right?

Anyway, a note to let you know that this thread has been very much appreciated and that some of us are really looking forward to the final installment.

Tim

Quote:
Thanks so much, Jeff.
big_smile.png
That's exactly what I was wanting to know.
thumbsup.gif

Shelley... as soon as you figure out which ones are girls I would separate them. What will you use for a breeder??
christina

At last the day has come and gone. Do have to say though that it was a lot nicer with them, then the Cornish even though the meat part was not as high.Also this batch was in snow and freezing temps through out their lives. I feel we will get a better idea what the breed is capable of by the third batch, but we did get the numbers that the hatchery stated, even under non ideal conditions.

Our avg. weight was down more then we wanted by 1/2 lbs. Our average weight was 3.6 lbs. We wanted 4 lbs.

We put 97 outside and processed 90, so lost 7 to the weather through out the 8 weeks they were out side. Not too bad but need to improve that number !!!

Our third batch is what I think will be the ones that do the talking as they are growing faster with less feed then all of the others so far and have not lost a single one in the 4 weeks we have had them. Plus the temps have been more ideal for poultry. 50-60 day time and 40's at night.

Our biggest was over 5lbs and smallest right under 3 but for the most part right around 4 lbs. So much for weighing them with a cheapo scale while they are alive. That didn't work and actually disappointed me as I had weighed in a few alot bigger then they really were.

So out of 90 chickens we got 326.5 lbs of dressed meat.

FCR's - 4.2 lbs of feed to 1 lb of dressed meat

We went through 1375 lbs of feed for them.

As I got it figured out that it cost us $1.56 per lb to raise these guys. We did all the processing our selves, so we saved a lot there.

I hope that this grow journal has helped people with any of their questions they had on the breed. We had fun doing it. Sorry for not having more pictures and updates, but we are super busy on the farm and just didn't have the time to. We'll keep everyone updated on the second and third batches as far as the dressed weights and the FCR's come out to be. Hopefully a little better then these did. I believe the cold weather has a big effect on all these factors and so with warmer weathers comes bigger rewards. But this was an experiment, to see how hardy the breed really is and what all they can take. One thing I have to say is these buggers are tough and they are very hardy.

I'll be reporting on the taste here in the next few days !! To finish this journal out complete.

Can I see a couple pics of them dressed out if they are still fresh... if not maybe in the next batch.

Cold temps are tough.... keep all of your records and at the end of the year do a final FCR out of all of them. I have the same problem with the broilers but with those weight even with cold temps I can usually hit 3.5 lbs with 6 weeks which makes it tough for me as I don't want them here that long.

Good luck with the rest.

Quote:
So, each chicken weighed an average of 3.6 lbs after processing? That's whole chicken, not quartered, skinned or boned, right?

Can I see a couple pics of them dressed out if they are still fresh...

This is a pic of the average size that we got, this go around.

i4h69z.jpg

2nrkd5e.jpg

So, each chicken weighed an average of 3.6 lbs after processing? That's whole chicken, not quartered, skinned or boned, right?

That is whole ready to cook.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom