Colour breeding - Indian Runner Ducks

The only way to add blue (without causing a whole lot of confusion later on) is to cross trout with either a blue trout or a saxony.

Is it possible to create an apricot colour from khaki or chocolate runners? If not what combination do I need. It is so difficult to get Indian runners here in Bulgaria I have to get my eggs sent from the uk and hope they all hatch ok

Feel free to ask questions. I love talking about duck color genetics, and I learned a lot from this website by asking others.... and I still do...

The trout gene is really quite simple: A wild-type duck (typical "mallard pattern"), with two "trout" genes will have the same pattern as the wild-type, but the overall look of the birds will be a bit lighter. There is also a gene called "harlequin", which lightens the colors even more (like in the Welsh Harlequin ducks).

Adding ONE Blue-dilution gene to mallard colored ducks will make blue-fawn. Adding TWO blue-dilution genes will make Apricot.

Adding one blue-dilution gene to a trout-colored duck will make blue trout. Adding two will make Saxony colored birds.

If you have white ducks in your pen it will be very difficult to know what genes are being carried by any of your ducks, since white is a "masking gene", and your ducks could be carriers of just about any genes.

I would love to see some photos of your ducks when you get a chance.
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to find someone to ask about color genetics of some eggs I'm hatching. If your around to answer a couple questions could you please reply?! Thank u!

Whats your question?
So I got a batch of eggs that I'm going to hatch. They came from a blue trout drake and blue hens. Everything I am reading points to 25% silver, 25% black and 50% blue all bibbed. I do not know anything about bibbs because I don't care for them but I was wondering if I can breed another color to these that will result in bring back some wild color babies?

I know this is an old thread but we have a fawn and white which is new in our country. What can I breed it with to up the chances of hatching more fawn and white babies ? I'm scared we lose the colour.

Back
Top Bottom