Colour of this Brahma?

I know I posted this, but it's not here, must be a glitch. I found this pic of a partridge splash Brahma cockerel from 2017. I never grew them out much past this because I just didn't need them, but my memory was definitely cloudy! Here you go, judge for yourself. They go through that scruffy dinosaur stage and become pretty magnificent.

View attachment 3325651
That stage is the worst. lol
Looks splash silver orange to me

Eyebrow Raise GIF

Are you making stuff up? lol :plbb What is Silver-orange? That cannot be a color Brahama people are trying to call a variety. lol

That stage is the worst. lol

Eyebrow Raise GIF

Are you making stuff up? lol :plbb What is Silver-orange? That cannot be a color Brahama people are trying to call a variety. lol
HAHA. To my understanding blue (or splash, or dark) silver orange is just a name for silver partridge with autosomal red. Splash partridge should have more color in the hackles and saddles too which is why I think he's blue silver orange! The names are quite confusing but this is what I gleaned from reading :)

I've never heard of silver orange, either, but of course, there are names of varieties that seem to be different across the pond so I can't say it isn't a color. Just never heard of it. I know the stuff I have to know for the varieties I own/have owned, for the most part. As far as silver, there is silver penciled or silver blue partridge (silver based as opposed to gold), but just never heard the term "silver orange". I think the confusion comes when one variety is called by different names, depending on who is doing the calling. I just have the regular partridge and blue partridge and did have one Dark Brahma which of course, is silver based. Sadly, I lost her this year along with a blue partridge hen and a partridge hen. Their longevity is petering out at going on 7 years old, sadly.

ADDING: I was surprised that they are beginning to drop off, but those we lost coincidentally never went broody. Brandy (partridge) and Bonnie (blue partridge) were perpetural broodies so took very long breaks from laying, each went broody every single quarter for the first two years of their lives, then a couple of times each the next two years. Cora, Bash's daughter, is a year younger and has been broody, but we never allowed her to have eggs to hatch. The others never did and those are the ones we lost in spite of all our efforts. It was just odd, no respiratory stuff, seemed to be a heart issue with the Dark Brahma, she was always out of breath and she was my head hen. Sure miss her more than the other two. Big, BIG girl. These were the only breeder Brahmas we ever had so no others to compare except two hatchery Brahmas, one who lived to be almost 10 years old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom