Colour of this Brahma?

Chantie

Hatching
Nov 4, 2022
Good day, please assist to identify the colour. I have breeders giving me a few Colour options. I wanted to make sure. And which hen can I put him with?

Attachments

• IMG-20221109-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20221109-WA0010.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 17
Hmm, good question. I guess it could be splash, but usually, my splashes don't have a ton of orange like that. He's handsome. If he's splash, he carries two blue genes and will always pass on one of those to his progeny so you'd get some blue birds with miscellaneous markings. I have a bantam Cochin pullet who is out of a Buff Cochin rooster over splash hen and this is how she looks because of that blue gene. Of course, the partridge pattern is not in play, just lacing that normal blues have but in uneven areas because she's a cross.
DSC07730.JPG

Hmm, good question. I guess it could be splash, but usually, my splashes don't have a ton of orange like that. He's handsome. If he's splash, he carries two blue genes and will always pass on one of those to his progeny so you'd get some blue birds with miscellaneous markings. I have a bantam Cochin pullet who is out of a Buff Cochin rooster over splash hen and this is how she looks because of that blue gene. Of course, the partridge pattern is not in play, just lacing that normal blues have but in uneven areas because she's a cross.
View attachment 3325430
She's a cutie!

She's a cutie!
Thanks, Iris is a becoming quite a little diva these days. She's 20 weeks old. Adding that the rooster in question is most likely a splash partridge. I see those blue tail feathers. He's a handsome guy like those big boys tend to be. I never kept a splash because I never got many to hatch. They are always in the minority unless you are breeding from splash in the first place. I'd have to go back a few years to see if I can find pics of my splash partridge cockerels. My memory could be skewed, it's been so long.

I know I posted this, but it's not here, must be a glitch. I found this pic of a partridge splash Brahma cockerel from 2017. I never grew them out much past this because I just didn't need them, but my memory was definitely cloudy! Here you go, judge for yourself. They go through that scruffy dinosaur stage and become pretty magnificent.

DSC04769.JPG

Back
Top Bottom