Columbia Rock Chickens?

jakeandchicks

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Hi! I haven't been on in awhile but when I did I was talking about of course getting chickens. Well, my friend recently(2 days ago) got columbia rock chickens. Well, I am very interested in them. I want to know EVERYTHING. Coop size, life span, feeding requirements, care, EVERYTHING lol. SO what do you guys know bout them?

Last edited:
Welcome back.

Well you need 4 Square feet per bird.

Here is a great site that will tell you about the life of a chicken: Life of a chicken

Rocks are beautiful birds and some will even go broody.

As for feeding and care, just read in each of the categories starting with raising chicks, go to thelearning center Read everything you can there.

Good luck!

Broody means that the hens will sit on the eggs and rear the chicks. This has been bred out of many chickens because when they go broody, they stop laying eggs (and most people want eggs, not more chickens). So heavy egg laying types rarely go broody.

I have Columbian Rock Bantams, and I have not been able to track down another breeder, full size or bantam. (I've seen names, but no one has responded).

I love the columbian coloring, and I prefer the rocks because I don't have to worry about their feet feathers getting dirty, like brahmas.

On my BYC page I have a poor picture, I promise better ones when I find my camera! I will also take pics of the babies as it seems no one has really seen them.

Oh wow! THats exactly what his chickens look like. So I guess they are bantams? He has that same waterer and everything! Wow thanks!

Not having any luck starting a new forum........ Does anyone know where to get columbian rock eggs or chicks??????? I have tried all the hatcheries I can
FInd with no luck ....... someone please help!!!!
smile.png

Scott and I have been working on getting Large Fowl Columbians going for the last year or two. He has had better luck than I so far. The only hatchery I know of that handles Columbian Rocks is in Idaho, though Scott ordered some and they were mostly silver-stenciled or maybe crosses. Pretty chickens, but not Columbians. I have a few, hopefully later enough to start shipping eggs around. Scott (Yard full o' Rocks) may be able to help you get started.

Back
Top Bottom