Columbian Wyandotte Rooster

Great information. I'm going to take your advice and try the ACV with mushy food. Going to read up on this as well. Thank you for the input.

The apple cider vinegar you use needs to be the natural ACV with the cloudy "mother" in it. It will have more of the good bacteria you need for your birds. The processed ACV removed the "mother". A good variety is Braggs but any ACV that says "natural" or "mother" on it is okay.

Also, if you attempt to empty the crop, be careful that the bird is allowed to breathe right side up. You don't want him to aspirate the vomit into his lungs which would cause a whole other problem.

Crop is the first receptacle in the digestion process. What the bird eats is mixed with digestive juices and water to begin the softening process before it moves to the proventriculus( or true stomach) where enzymes break the food down further. The food is then passed into the gizzard (or mechanical stomach) where the food is ground using small stones and grit befor moving into the intestines.

You described your bird as hiding his head between the 2x4s. Very possibly, he is wolfing down his food when he can get to the feeder and is stressed by fear of the bigger birds. This can also contribute to a sour crop.

NanaKat, thank you for suggestion. I am working on this today. Great point about eating fast because of the bigger bird's! Will let you know how things go.

I tried to get the Rooster to throw up but nothing happened. How long do I give him the vinegar and mix yogurt with his food?

LilCtryGal, continue with the vinegar and yogurt for several days. you want to see improvement in his processing of feed. Continue to gently massage his crop for several days also. Let us know how he is doing. PM me if you need more help.

Well the lil uy seems to be doing well. I just recently put him back in with the other's. He is still hiding his head between the 2 x 4's, stays by himself when out in the run. When he was in the pen by himself he started this running in circles thing and going nuts. Well he is doing it out there too. I'm watching him closely to see if anything else seems to develop and if he starts interacting with the others.

NanaKat,

Think my lil guy has another issue. His right wing is drooping and I'm thinking it could be sprain. I don't feel any bones sticking out. Should I wrap it with an ace bandage for a few days?

Back
Top Bottom