Columbus the Boxer

Dandelion007

Songster
11 Years
Dec 7, 2008
Durant, OK
19514_4_weeks_-_m1.jpg

I had checked Katie, my Boxer and thought of letting her out to go with me to do chores. She was bouncing up and down like normal. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I decided against it since Cricket, our cat was following me. Then when I was out feeding, I heard one of the puppies keep whimpering. When I got back to the house, I went into the box to see why one was complaining so much. One was laid out on the floor unable to get up. I gently picked him up and took him inside. He was in much pain. I noticed a lump on his back. I couldn't get him to move his back feet. I called the vet. They closed in 20 minutes but if I could get him there in time they would see him. I was told if he had a broken back he would have to be put down. He turns 4 weeks old tomorrow. He is the only boy with 5 sisters. I got there with only minutes to spare. I didn't want him to suffer through the night if he needed to be put down. He started yelling out with pain as I was filling out the paperwork. I started bawling right there. When the vets checked him, he did move his back feet. There was hope. I was so happy. Since the animal hospital was just about to close, he got undivided attention. It was supposed that mom probably wanted to teach a good lesson but was just a little too rough. He was given pain medicine. I was told he just needed time to recover. He must stay away from the others. I have him in a laundry basket right beside me now. He keeps whining so pathetically. If he is touched around his middle section, it really hurts him. I only feel comfortable petting his head and talking to him.

Thanks for letting me get some of this out.

Poor little guy............ They shoulda given you a tranquilizer after all you had to go through too. I hope he is feeling better soon
smile.png

Columbus is no longer in pain. I'm the only one left in pain. Of course, his mother probably feels the loss too. I watched his life slip away. I had forgotten how powerless it makes you feel. As you watch the breathing get heavier and heavier. And finally it starts getting lighter until the chest just doesn't rise anymore. Then the body just totally relaxes. He was only 4 weeks old. I guess there were more injuries than the obvious spinal injury. I know sometimes when they are first born mothers will lie on them. But he was too big for that. When I returned from the vet, I checked on her and the other puppies. She seemed to have this worried look on her face. Maybe she knew he was hurt really bad. Oh, how I wished I would of let her out to come while I fed the animals. Dear little Columbus, you will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom