Comb and Wattles Looking Dry and Flaky

Two wound treatments I would not do without - Blu-kote and Vetericyn. Blu-kote is anti-fungal having gentian violet in it, as well as antibacterial. Vetericyn is antibacterial and promotes new tissue growth.

I use Blu-kote for any comb and wattle sores, specks, bites, anything but frostbite. If your roo has favus, Blu-kote will kill it while camouflaging the sores.

You can also use athletes foot cream on it. But not knowing exacty what it is, blu-kote is what I would use because it's going to work if this is bacterial or fungal.

He is always trying to clean any scratch or anything on the other boys so it sounds like they're returning the favor, in overdrive and creating more problems for him. I'll get some pine tar as soon as I can find it somewhere and get it applied. It'd probably be useless to apply anything else in the meantime since it will just be more noticeable and attract more attention, right? Thank you both so much for this! You're the best!

Two wound treatments I would not do without - Blu-kote and Vetericyn. Blu-kote is anti-fungal having gentian violet in it, as well as antibacterial. Vetericyn is antibacterial and promotes new tissue growth.

I use Blu-kote for any comb and wattle sores, specks, bites, anything but frostbite. If your roo has favus, Blu-kote will kill it while camouflaging the sores.

You can also use athletes foot cream on it. But not knowing exacty what it is, blu-kote is what I would use because it's going to work if this is bacterial or fungal.
Thank you so much for your time and input. I do have blu-kote on hand, so I'll get him off the roost right now since I don't have to worry about the other boys and get his first application on. With something like this, would you advise that I apply it daily, twice a day or more? Thanks again for everything. I am so grateful for y'all and your kindness

That is an odd looking 'scab'.
His comb looks a bit swollen and shiny too?

Tip if you must use blukote...spray it into a bottle cap and use a qtip to apply.
I thought so too. His comb has always been shiny, smooth and almost slick feeling, if that makes any sense. I'm not 100% on the swelling. His name is "KnotHead" (such a horrible name for such an amazing guy) because he had a knot on his head as a day old chick. His comb was developing very early on and is large

The blu-kote I have is a thin liquid with a dauber. I believe it's too thin to use the dauber, so I'll likely use a cotton swab and paint it on. I wonder how well it'd work if I applied blu-kote and once dry, apply a layer of pine tar? I'm planning on treating him as soon as I finish up with work. I didn't last night because it was almost 1am and my daughter woke up as I was trying to go outside. I need to find the pictures I snapped about a week ago. It does look worse.

Last edited:
I also think that could be wounds. Does he ever poke his comb through fencing? Let us know how the treatment works.
I don't ever see him do that as his comb is so big and would get stuck in the chain link fencing, but it's certainly possible that he does. Anytime I'm giving him treats, it seems like he's unable to poke his head through because of his comb.

Throw the dauber away, and use a Q-tip. Just trash it. It's meant for cows and horses where you have a large area to treat. I even decant an ounce of the liquid into a tiny two ounce bottle to make it even easier to use. Yes, the stuff is thin, so be ready to stand back when Knothead shakes his head in response to the cold liquid. The stuff stains and will go everywhere.

I first saw the effects of gentian violet with I was eleven and my little sister had thrush in her mouth. It was hilarious to see a kid with a completely purple mouth. My sister, however, didn't find it so humorous.

I'm actually using Blu-kote on my hand right now for a skin fungus. The stuff works very well to knock out these surface fungi.

Back
Top Bottom