Comb development

trifecta

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Laidley, QLD, Australia
Hi All,

I'll start by saying that this is my first attempt at raising chickens... and despite my attempts to read as much as possible, there's always so much more to know :).

I purchased 8 cornishX and, 2 RIR, and 2 "pan fry special" chicks from Orescheln's 3 weeks ago as an experimental meat bird flock. I am trying to determine if my 4 "colored" birds are cockerels or not. FWIW, I think my 2 pan fry's are barred rock or a cross of such.

Is it safe to assume that if they have nice little red combs at this age they probably are?

I can try to post pictures later today. Behaviorally, I think they are little roos... they love to boss each other around and are starting to pick fights. However, I have read on this forum that young pullets will do that too!

welcome-byc.gif
Pictures will certainly help, but yes, if they have nice little combs at this age - and particularly if those combs have much pink/red in them, then they are probably little roos. Gender really can't be determined my behavior until after adolescence. In fact, many people are fooled into thinking their "sweetheart" must be a girl because it is so friendly and sweet and more often than not its the other way around - the sweetest ones as chicks are roos!

Maybe this will will help.

The pullet is closest to the camera (Just behind the preening chick). The cockerel is the furthest from the camera. You can see the comb and wattle development.

Ok, wow, that photo makes it very obvious... at the end of the day I don't really care what they are, just curious... and I'm 100% certain they are all roosters since they all have little red "mini combs" and red spots where wattles are starting.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom