Comb fading, getting ready to lay?

ChickensNCoffee

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
TN
I have 7 red sex links (all my girls! Hopefully), they're almost 5 months now. I feed them daily. Fresh water daily. Bedding changed every 2 weeks. Treats of some sort (corn, worms, seeds, fresh grass clippings every other day). Today I noticed a few of my chickens combs were faded. From red to a pink. A farmer down the road said that's a sign they're getting ready to lay? Something about pulling pigment for their yolks? Any truth in that? Just don't want a bunch of sick chickens.

If anything, the opposite would be expected when a pullet is about to start laying from my observations. If you are concerned you may wish to add vitamin supplements or electrolytes to their drinking water may perk them up a little.

Ct

I have 7 red sex links (all my girls! Hopefully), they're almost 5 months now. I feed them daily. Fresh water daily. Bedding changed every 2 weeks. Treats of some sort (corn, worms, seeds, fresh grass clippings every other day). Today I noticed a few of my chickens combs were faded. From red to a pink. A farmer down the road said that's a sign they're getting ready to lay? Something about pulling pigment for their yolks? Any truth in that? Just don't want a bunch of sick chickens.
What are you feeding?
They need good balanced feed all day, and treats kept to a minimum.

Pullets(all birds) comb color can brighten up in a minutes time with exertion and/or excitement,
then pale back out when they relax.....
....it'll drive ya nuts when waiting for the pullets to lay.

Not sure it has anything to do with 'pulling pigment for their yolks'....
......tho I have some pale combed hens that are still laying...so <shrugs>.

I've never heard that farmer's tale. A pullet who is nearing POL will have a comb that gets much more RED, and fuller. Her face will also get redder. If she is a breed with light colored legs, you will notice that they are much more yellow, or even have some red tint to them. After her laying cycle is well established, and she is coming to the end of her cycle, her comb and facial color will diminish, her comb will shrink and become pale and dry, and her shanks will blanch out. With each new cycle, you'll see a repeat of these color changes.

My pullets are 15 weeks old now. I'm watching and waiting. Seeing some facial changes, they are "playing house" in the nest boxes, and one was singing the egg song yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom