Comb flopping over

ChickenAl

Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Putnam cty, NY
One of our Amberlink's combs is flopping over to one side. It looks healthy and bright n color with no pecking damage at all. She is the most mature of the three ALs and has the largest comb. Is this normal or should we be concerned?

Have no clue what kind of chicken a Amberlink's is, but some of my black sex link and barred rocks have flop combs and are perfectly healthy and productive. My neighbor has brown leghorns and all of them have flop combs and he says that he thinks those lay better. You have nothing to worry about, those with this kind of comb look funny but a perfectly fine.

Quote:
Actually she was the first to lay. She's not the biggest bird of the group but what a large comb and wattles she has.

I read they were a cross between a Delaware rooster and a RIR hen, for the person (chickens friend) who asked what they were.

Thanks to all for calming my fear of something being wrong. Winter here may be a special problem we will have to deal with, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Al

Chickens friend, just realized I quoted your post and answered your question thinking it was from someone else. Duh, on me. Getting tired.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info on breed. During winter you should not have a problem since hens tuck their heads between their body and their wings to keep the comb, wattles and their entire head warm, roosters on the other hand for some reason do not tuck their heads under their wings and often get frostbit.

Quote:
Now that is a relief. They do not do that in summer? At least mine never have. Guess it has to get cold first.

In the summer their heads stay plenty warm, but in winter instinct kicks in and they instinctively do it. My hens with large combs have never been frostbit, but my roosters with their big combs constantly get frostbitten, cant understand why roosters don't protect their heads though?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom