Comb Genetics

Quote:
Yes Sir, Don that is what I was interested in and more.
smile.png

I just can't except that there is this much limited information about them out there. I read the Penne thread and really found no information in there that I could take the bank as far as genetics of the carnation.
Also, while what I have expressing in birds does look very similar to the combs photo'd in the Penne thread, they are different. The "carnations" blooming on these Marans is not like the Penne combs, the Marans "carnations" are points out each side and don't have that big flappy bowl looking type thing of skin on the way out to the points out either side of the blade, kinda reminded me of the "Flying Nun's" hat thing, or habit, IDK what it is but that's what the Penne combs looked like to me.
What I am getting on these Marans is just points....not little sprigs, not big flappy wing looking things, but points....just like the ones on the top of the comb that stayed in a nice little row, just a smaller version. They probably are the same just express different. I don't know.
Did that even make sense?
lol.png

I'm basically looking to see if anyone has any thoughts? Is it controlled by 2 genes, one from each parent? Does it express with only 1 copy? What are the inheritance properties and things like that is what I am after if anyone has any ideas.

Do you have any pictures?

Here it is just emerging on a 3 week old male chick.
11170_gnarles_last_hatch_with_gff_bcm_hatch_1172011.jpg

11170_gnarles_x_gff_bcm_hatch_1172011_carnation.jpg

Here it is on a 4-6 week old cockerel.
11170_stupid_comb_2.jpg

11170_stupid_comb_3.jpg

and on a 5 mos. old cockerel
11170_dscf4268.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Gresh, I think if the Peacomb was pure you'd get all impure peacombs, and if it were impure, you'd get half single- and half impure peacombed birds. So you'd get single combed offspring, but only about half. I'm not sure what the sumatra's comb is so I can't help you with that, sorry.

The Sumatra has a pure peacomb. So if I crossed a Sumatra over a Leghorn X Pea-Combed Oriental, would I get pure pea-comb, or mostly pure?

Quote:
First hand experience beats hand book knowledge...
lol.png

Rose Comb is suppose to be one of the few "Completely Dominant" gene(most are incompletely dominant) that's why most wyandotte breeders keep getting single comb hatch from time to time... but as you pointed out there are other factors that could affect the outcome..

lol.png

I've been breeding Reds for 10 years now and it still surprises me when a "odd" formed comb pops up.
I'm still waiting for the Pea Comb Gene to pop up in my line breeding from the Malay that was used to create the Rhode Island Red.
big_smile.png

Chris

Malays have pea-combs? I thought Malays had walnut/strawberry combs
hu.gif
Is there an older version of the Malay or a different strain of Malay you're referring to?

Quote:
lol.png

I've been breeding Reds for 10 years now and it still surprises me when a "odd" formed comb pops up.
I'm still waiting for the Pea Comb Gene to pop up in my line breeding from the Malay that was used to create the Rhode Island Red.
big_smile.png

Chris

Malays have pea-combs? I thought Malays had walnut/strawberry combs
hu.gif
Is there an older version of the Malay or a different strain of Malay you're referring to?

Walnut/ Strawberry/Cushion comb carries the Pea comb "Gene"
Pea comb x Rose comb = Walnut/ Strawberry/Cushion comb.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have any pictures?

Here it is just emerging on a 3 week old male chick.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/fo...les_last_hatch_with_gff_bcm_hatch_1172011.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_gnarles_x_gff_bcm_hatch_1172011_carnation.jpg

Here it is on a 4-6 week old cockerel.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_stupid_comb_2.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_stupid_comb_3.jpg

and on a 5 mos. old cockerel
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_dscf4268.jpg

Kim, the reason your comb chick only has a little different comb is because it might be 5-6 generations away from the original cross being made

Kim, I suggest that you post these pictures on the Penne thread and ask your questions there, There is someone there that has experience on the Penne crosses.

Quote:
First hand experience beats hand book knowledge...
lol.png

Rose Comb is suppose to be one of the few "Completely Dominant" gene(most are incompletely dominant) that's why most wyandotte breeders keep getting single comb hatch from time to time... but as you pointed out there are other factors that could affect the outcome..

lol.png

big_smile.png

Chris

I doubt that will happen.

Quote:
lol.png

big_smile.png

Chris

I doubt that will happen.

I doubt it also but have gotten close with the double comb popping up.

Chris

I believe I am seeing the same type of comb split at the back of the blade, I have 3 out of 5 BCM's with this comb split and they are 21 week old.....Those 3 have straw colored hackles

Back
Top Bottom