Comb getting lighter! HELP!

Jul 13, 2018
Southern California
My 27 week old barred rock who is already laying has a very light c9mb. Only, a few nights ago, I saw it was a deep shade of red. Now, it’s lighter, pinkish, and almost orange, is there an explanation to this? If there’s anything I can do to bring it back to its right color, please help. She seems fine now. Here’s a picture:
upload_2018-11-24_11-39-21.jpeg

What do you feed?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice?

In your photo, your water station is a bit too low, imho, raise it up on a block so it's about and easier to drink out of. It will stay cleaner that way too.

When a pullet is in lay their comb color can fluctuate a little. Usually it's red before she lays an egg, then it will pale a little after the egg is laid.

A pale comb can also be because of dehydration, so watch to see that she is getting enough to drink.

I feed her layer feed, grit, and there is oyster shells in her layer feed. She does drink water after free ranging. So, I’ll try to refill and put the water station higher. Also, she just laid. I think that they have enough calcium because, their egg shells are really thick. Thanks for helping!
If she had just laid her egg, then that is likely the reason her comb is paler:)

Back
Top Bottom