Comb identification on day old chicks

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
This is my JG x RIR back-cross.

It appears that all 3 of the blacks have a very obvious straight comb.

20240126_074904.jpg

However, to my inexperienced eye it appears that all the paler chicks have some kind of flat comb. Am I correct?

20240126_074744.jpg

They are currently two days old.

This is my JG x RIR back-cross.
Can only be straight combs genetically speaking if stated heritage is correct.. straight comb is recessive.. so no other comb type is present in birds sporting single/straight combs.

The saddle you're describing is just the bridge of the nose.

When bred to rose, pea, or other comb types.. it will be the other comb type or something modified in the middle.. UNLESS the other comb type is carrying a hidden recessive straight comb gene.. is how many (hatchery) Wyandottes end up with straight combs.. for example.

Ok. I was wondering about the emergence of other comb types based on the Malay/Brown Leghorn ancestry of the RIR parents.

Ok. I was wondering about the emergence of other comb types based on the Malay/Brown Leghorn ancestry of the RIR parents.
If all the current birds have single (straight) combs, you will never see any other comb type in their offspring unless you cross in something else. Because single comb is the recessive form, once the other comb types are gone, they stay gone. So when the breed was being developed, once the other comb types were bred out, they did not come back.

So, is small straight comb vs large straight comb dominant? Both of my Biel x cockerels got small straight combs from their mothers.

So, is small straight comb vs large straight comb dominant? Both of my Biel x cockerels got small straight combs from their mothers.
I do not know about the genetics for comb size, when they all have the same kind of comb. If anyone studied it, the results have not been any of the places I thought to check.
Since some breeds do have large combs (like Leghorns) and some do have small combs (like what you've got), and either kind can breed true, there must be some kind of genetic control. I just don't know anything about what genes are involved or how they interact.

@nicalandia @Amer Do either of you know about genetics that affect the size of the comb?

I do not know about the genetics for comb size, when they all have the same kind of comb. If anyone studied it, the results have not been any of the places I thought to check.
Since some breeds do have large combs (like Leghorns) and some do have small combs (like what you've got), and either kind can breed true, there must be some kind of genetic control. I just don't know anything about what genes are involved or how they interact.

@nicalandia @Amer Do either of you know about genetics that affect the size of the comb?
No, but size of anything is typically a quantitative trait. In other words, controlled by many genes.

Back
Top Bottom