Comb injury, so much blood!!

crchickens

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Blue Ridge, TX
Last night, or early this AM, someone decided to peck one of the bumps off of one of my girl's comb. It is a bloody mess, and because she keeps shaking her head, I can not get it to stop.

So far, I have cleaned her up, and tried Bluecoat. It seemed to be stopped for a bit, but she shook her head, so that did not work. Then, I cleaned her up again and tried clogging it with Vaseline. She was happy laying in a nesting box all morning, but she kept shaking her head, and the blood is a mess. I was not sure if the other girls were pecking it when I was not there, but I watched when I was, and they were leaving her alone. She was getting blood spots on the other girls from her shaking, and my husband thought we would have even more pecking issues if we let it go. Finally, I decided to clean up one of the rabbit cages, and put it in the coop on the floor with bedding, food and water in it, and put her in there. I decided to just let it be, and see if the blood would stop. I wonder if cleaning her up is just keeping it going. She is frantic in the cage, though and wants to be out with the girls. I thought about putting corn starch on it, is that a good thing to do? Hubby keeps saying it will stop by tonight, but ugh, what a mess. I have Bluecoat spots all over me from her shaking her head.

It is just one of those days!!!! What should I do?

You roulc try using new skin...its like nail polish that I ise when a blister busts open from bowlimg...it migjt burn like hell... Ive also heard of people using pine tar?...its the stuff you put on tree branches after therr cut to prevent regrowth...it thick black and super yuck...but works

Well, I went back out, and it seems to have stopped bleeding. She has dried blood down her face, and the cut is actually shrinking in and drying up. I am going to leave her in the cage for the afternoon, and then we will clean her up, very carefully with some q-tips, spray blue coat, and let her out. I think her being in the cage is stressing her out. By then, it will be evening, and hopefully they will just sleep and it will heal more.

Back
Top Bottom