Comb injury

Kayla's Lunch

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 9, 2018
Maryland
This morning, looking into the coop, I noticed one of my chickens was bloody around her head and her shoulders. It looked terrible and I couldn't imagine what had attacked her, but I think the only injury was to her comb. Could this be from frostbite? The problem I have is that it keeps bleeding. I didn't put any quick-stop bleeding powder on it because I didn't think of that and I had an appointment to go to. I also don't know how to wash this area. I put some petroleum jelly on it, hoping that might lessen the bleeding, and some Blu-kote, but now there is a big glob of mess there. Any suggestions on what to do now? It's been pretty cold here dropping down to the teens at night, which doesn't happen often. I gave her a bath because she had been tucking her head and was bloody on her back/shoulder areas. She's been in the house all day. Keep her in overnight? Can I put her back outside now? Its about time for them to all roost. Do I have to clean her up more? Any suggestions on how? Put her out with them and in the morning put her in a crate in the run? She is acting totally fine and has been quite talkative in the house.

Thanks for any advice.

Mae 1.jpg
Mae 2..jpg

I usually take a wet paper towel or a wet cloth when it's to cold out to use a lot of water. Spray some vetrycin on a paper towel too and do the same. Then if needed, the quick stop. If not, put some neosporin on it.
However, you can't put her back out until she is cleaned up and the blood is stopped.

Back
Top Bottom