Comb injury

jaidenelenart

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
Hey y’all I could really use some help. I have this hen who has a damaged comb and it seems to be getting worse rather than better. This has happened to her before but it was a smaller area and the routine of spraying antiseptic spray, cleaning it, and putting antibiotic ointment on worked but this time it isn’t. She keeps scratching at it which is why I think it’s getting worse and worse, but I was just wondering if there was something else I could do or get that could help her heal? The first picture was a few days ago and then the others are from today.

Attachments

• 5D357BAD-1D75-4B14-8C1C-24FF1E7BCDCE.jpeg
    5D357BAD-1D75-4B14-8C1C-24FF1E7BCDCE.jpeg
    668.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 01E94B02-BDE6-4D1D-9550-EBED6CF7F3F1.jpeg
    01E94B02-BDE6-4D1D-9550-EBED6CF7F3F1.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 5
  • E49B846B-A50B-459D-B8A4-00EFF81B95B2.jpeg
    E49B846B-A50B-459D-B8A4-00EFF81B95B2.jpeg
    920.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DF334B4D-E79A-4020-BDAD-97B0E7E253E6.jpeg
    DF334B4D-E79A-4020-BDAD-97B0E7E253E6.jpeg
    849.9 KB · Views: 5
Is she in with the rest of the flock? Since it's raw and bleeding they may be pecking at it, causing it to get worse, they are very attracted to blood. I would crate her in the run in a wire crate, so they can all still see each other, give her her own food and water. Treat as you have been and see if it gets better. Combs usually heal up well. Once a scab has formed they usually leave it alone. If it's still drawing attention you can put some blu-kote on it to cover the red, sometimes that helps, sometimes it does not, so keep an eye on it. If they just won't leave it alone, then you may need to keep her crated until it's entirely healed. I would also try to figure out why it's happening, since this is the second time. If she's getting it caught on fencing wire, a feeder, etc. Or if the others are bullying her and that's how it's happening.

Is she in with the rest of the flock? Since it's raw and bleeding they may be pecking at it, causing it to get worse, they are very attracted to blood. I would crate her in the run in a wire crate, so they can all still see each other, give her her own food and water. Treat as you have been and see if it gets better. Combs usually heal up well. Once a scab has formed they usually leave it alone. If it's still drawing attention you can put some blu-kote on it to cover the red, sometimes that helps, sometimes it does not, so keep an eye on it. If they just won't leave it alone, then you may need to keep her crated until it's entirely healed. I would also try to figure out why it's happening, since this is the second time. If she's getting it caught on fencing wire, a feeder, etc. Or if the others are bullying her and that's how it's happening.
She is but I plan on taking her out today and giving her some space. I do have some blu-kote I will try putting on some of that as well. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom