Comb question

SunneeSideUp

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
I have a black sex link pullet. She’s about 17-18 weeks old. Went to open the coop this morning and I noticed the very edges of her comb were a bluish color. I don’t know if it’s been like that and I just haven’t noticed or what. All the other girls combs were fine. I only have 4, all pullets. She came right out of the coop to eat and drink though and acted like her usual self. Not lethargic at all. The only difference of today is that I did sleep in some. Usually I let them out about 6:30, today it was 9. They get fresh water and food daily and treats, they are in a safe area with lots of shade etc. Any ideas? Could it just be normal and I never noticed? I wasn’t able to get a pic this morning but I’ll try to later.

She could just be darker and what you are noticing is just pigment. She also could have been picked at. Or she could have some minor frostbite, I don't know where you are. If you post a pic I can tell you which one. None of these scenarios are anything to worry about though.

She could just be darker and what you are noticing is just pigment. She also could have been picked at. Or she could have some minor frostbite, I don't know where you are. If you post a pic I can tell you which one. None of these scenarios are anything to worry about though.
I just got a pic of Nugget. Definitely not frost bite, we are in NC lol. We’ve had 80/low 90s all week and gets to about 55 at night. When I went out to get a picture it looked better and wasn’t as blue or dark. Just a few darker spots at the front on the very tops now.
IMG_9304.jpeg

She looks ok to me. If their comb turns a general bluish or purple color, it can be a sign of heart trouble. It could happen in super hot weather. That is pretty much a danger sign, and you would have to get them cooled off.

But having it only on the tips, I don’t know. Maybe nothing.

Back
Top Bottom