comb vaselining???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickiebaby, Oct 7, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    We have a chicken with a huge comb. I have heard that when a chicken has a big comb, you should put vaseline on it to prevent frostbite. I have 2 questions:
    1. Is this true???
    2. If it is, when should I start to put vaseline on it?? When it is below freezing, or just when it starts to get cold? If you have the faintest idea, please tell me.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh! good question!!..*waiting for replys also*...[​IMG]..and i live in western mass also!...[​IMG]

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I put vaseline on one of my roosters combs only when it is going to be below 30 for a couple days, definately if it is going to be zero. I put it on only at night though. Not sure if this has ever helped him or not but, knock on wood, he has not gotten frost bite yet. I am in NJ so it probably doesnt get as cold here as it does there. I'm sure more people will chime in.

4. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Good question, I'm debating the same thing. It might be below freezing in Michigan for several weeks at a time!

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Most chickens tuck their head under their wing while sleeping. This helps at night but if it's really cold during the day I would use the vaseline....

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm just going to add a heat lamp so I don't have to find out if it works or not.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I was told it's more the rubbing of the comb and improving the circulation that helps than the vaseline itself. You don't need to worry about until it gets very cold (very coming from someone in Iowa is at least close to 0) and you have roosters with large combs. Roosters don't always tuck their heads while sleeping either.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I use Vaseline on my own cheeks when I'm going to be out in temps less than 20°F. That's about the time I started thinking about it for the leghorns... but last winter we got down to -30F for a LONGGGG time, and I never put any Vaseline on them. They did fine.

9. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    That question was actually posted, on my account, by my nine year old! She is super-worried about her beloved Dulcinea, a blue Andalusian hen with a comb and wattles that most roosters would die for.

I'm not QUITE as concerned as the kid is, but thank you all for your thoughts! I realized she's a sch a good writer youd never even know the question came from a little 'un! What a kid.

10. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Mrs. AK, did you actually say "Minus 30 fr along time?" We in wimpy New England - we BOW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by