Combining chickens into one coop

ilovedragons2

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Eastern OHIO
Right now I have 2 coops, one with my young hens and one for my rooster. Last night, one of the hens darted into the roosters coop and jumped up on the roost with him while the rest of the flock ran to their smaller coop. After closing up the coop with the hens, I heard a commotion from the coop with the rooster and hen. She suddenly wanted to get into the other coop (which I have separated with chicken wire) with her sisters. I was just going to let her calm down and roost there, but my rooster started pecking at her. I was worried that he'd hurt her so I managed to get her out and into the other coop. I need to get them all into one coop soon. What can I expect from the rooster if I remove the wire between the coops and let them all roost in one big area? The hens are 2 months old and about 1/2 the roosters size. When they're out foraging, there's no problem. He has even started "tidbitting" for them.

Am I to understand that you have a mature cockerel, but no mature pullets or hens? It could be that he is trying to breed the younger pullets as he has no hens. so I'd keep them separate a little longer, and then try integrating as the pullets reach POL.

I integrated some three month old pullets a month or two ago, which worked out fine as the cockerels had mature hens to occupy themselves with until the younger girls reached an appropriate age, so next time you need to integrate, it will be easier, but this time, keep them apart until the pullets start to redden up a little.

Am I to understand that you have a mature cockerel, but no mature pullets or hens? It could be that he is trying to breed the younger pullets as he has no hens. so I'd keep them separate a little longer, and then try integrating as the pullets reach POL.

I integrated some three month old pullets a month or two ago, which worked out fine as the cockerels had mature hens to occupy themselves with until the younger girls reached an appropriate age, so next time you need to integrate, it will be easier, but this time, keep them apart until the pullets start to redden up a little.
Yes, I don't have any mature hens. My last hen died suddenly last month. He hasn't made any advances to the young hens so far.

I need to get them all into one coop soon. What can I expect from the rooster if I remove the wire between the coops and let them all roost in one big area? The hens are 2 months old and about 1/2 the roosters size. When they're out foraging, there's no problem. He has even started "tidbitting" for them.
Why the need to get the all in one coop?
How big are these coops?
Dimensions and pics would really help.
Is there a run too, is that where the wire separator is?

He hasn't made any advances to the young hens so far.
That's a good sign.
How old is he?

Why the need to get the all in one coop?
How big are these coops?
Dimensions and pics would really help.
Is there a run too, is that where the wire separator is?

That's a good sign.
How old is he?
Louie is going on 6.
The main coop is 8' L x 4' W x 4'H. The smaller coop is only temporary and is about 5' L x 3' 6" L and 3' 6" H. It was what I could salvage from one of the coop/runs you can get at farm supply stores. The coops are located in a 20' L x 10' W x 6' H chain link fence. They also have a 4' W x 10' L x 4' H foraging area that I allow them in when I am able to supervise (guard) them.
I guess the entire situation was decided by the chickens yesterday! I was late getting out to lock them in for the night and discovered 5 of the hens had decided to roost in the main coop with Louie. The other 3 went to the small coop. Tonight, 3 hens wanted to stay in the large coop. I guess I'll just have to leave it up to them LOL!

Back
Top Bottom