Combo flock

Carson213

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
West Coast
If you’re getting a new flock of birds...do you typically just raise the meat birds with the layers...and then harvest the meaters?
seems like a lower maintenance option. i was thinking today that it would be easier to just brooder as seldom as possible...and raise chicks that are good layers and meat..then double the order from the hatchery.

There are many dual purpose breeds that do both well.
though, i think dual purpose takes a little longer for harvest weight than your standard cornish x.
I know people who order a big batch of straight runs and use all the extra cockerels as meat birds.

I'm not sure what meat birds you are talking about. Are you talking about raising Cornish X and laying chicks together, Rangers and laying chicks, or are all of them dual purpose. My answer would change depending on which meat birds you are talking about.

I think you are talking dual purpose, which is what I do. I raise them all together. I do several broods a year, more to manage freezer space than worrying about the extra work brooding. Some of mine are brooder-raised, some are broody-raised.

There are all kinds of twists and different ways to do this for different reasons.

Depends on your goals, and specific breeds. Watch out for meat birds eating all the food from the layers. So many different methods & reasons for raising different types. Make sure you pick a breed that matches your goals.

Depends on your goals, and specific breeds. Watch out for meat birds eating all the food from the layers. So many different methods & reasons for raising different types. Make sure you pick a breed that matches your goals.
i ended up building an 8x13ft brooder room for 90 Bresse chicks...then a 20x30 coop for them but no run. planning to harvest at 4.5 months and do the corn/milk feed for two weeks prior to harvest

Please post your results after you harvest. I know a fair number of people who are interested in the bresse way of finishing but I haven't seen anyone follow through and post the results.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom