Combs

BAYAREABIRDER

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Hi,

Some of my chickens combs are turning pink? They have only been laying for 2 and a half weeks, but for some reason their combs look pale. And some, including my rooster have black and grey pieces of skin on their face.

Pictures would really help us here.

Are they getting enough protien?

Are you certain they don't have mites or lice? Look them over carefully, when I was a kid, if the combs started turning pale, it was almost always lice or mites.

Last edited:
They have been eating lay crumbles with oyster shell for 3 weeks. They have been on lay crumbles since they moved into the coop { at about 5 weeks.] They eat scraps of bread, and veggies as well as frutis, and they have acess to bugs and weeds. Otherwise the combs, they all look and act very healthy and active. Their feces is dark brown and solid. Sometimes it is watery. I just cleaned out their coop with lysol, and let is air out. The perches were cleaned as well. Not the nest boxes, should I clean them out???? I will try to get pics of both.

As a hen gets older and lays more, certain parts of her body start to turn paler. I'm not sure which parts at what time. The rooster... has he gotten in any fights at all? Thats all I can think of..

No, they are only 4 and a half months!!!!! The cockerel had a cut on his wattle, that is scabbed gray, now he has a gray line stretching across his eyelids and left side of face. There are LITTLE BLACK DOTS on the points of his rose comb and the other hens combs. I will try to post pics.

Last edited:
the black spots sound like something i've read about; i'll look for pictures; don't despair.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom