Come cry with me

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Appaloosa Hill Farm, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    We have 4 4-week old chicks in the house with us...two of them belong to our 5yo son and 2yo daughter. Today we decided to let them stretch their legs in the run. Apparently our daughter's chick "Pink" had a small enough head to stick through the wire and our beagle cross killed her. [​IMG] I feel like a terrible chick mommy and I feel just horrible for our daughter. Needless to say, we'll be covering the current fencing with hardware cloth.

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Im so sorry.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Aw! I've had that happen before. Poor little baby.

4. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    awwww im so sorry and i have a 2 year old daughter and a 10 year old son i know how hard this must be for you tell her that it has went on to chicky heaven and giver her a big kiss for me that is so sad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I am SO sorry. I had that happen to a gosling a while back. It was really sad.[​IMG] Took me a while to get over it. But you do get over it.[​IMG]

6. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I'm so verry sorry!!! Do you live in Va? If so, I'll give your DD one of mine. [​IMG]

This very same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I didn't think the chicks could fit through the chain link but one did and my beagle killed it. [​IMG]

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Run to TSC quick and find a look alike chick for the kids!

9. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:Thank you for the offer, that's so sweet of you! [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, too.

Thanks all of you for the comfort. It was her Easter chick (gifted to her by a relative), an EE that had been dyed pink. She's asked me a couple times where Pink is. [​IMG] I'm hoping I can point out another of our 8 EEs and tell her, "There's Pink!" Hopefully it'll work since he'd begun feathering out. Is that awful of me? [​IMG]

10. songbird

songbird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    New England
    So sorry to hear this! They are so fragile and innocent, aren't theY?

Now you and others have scared me about my chickies' safety. We built our hen house outside of OUR dogs' invisible fence area, but I'll get that my neighbor's beagles will bust through THEIR invisible fence when they smell little chicks. We got our chicks for the kids too - they each got to pick out their own. Good luck - your daughter will recover much more easily than you will...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by