Comments and reviews about peel 'n stick linoleum tiles?

i'm using a big roll of linoleum (not the tiles)... i got it at lowes (they also carry the rolls at the home depot), what i am doing is i am actually laying the floor BEFORE i put on the walls. so that the floor can never lift around the edges because of the weight of the wood holding it down. i am also going to put linoleum on the walls and inside of the nest boxes and secure it with a glue as well as a few nails. i am making my coop 100% deconstructable so that if and when i move in however many years i can easily just take the walls/floor/roof down and reassemble it with only a few (well, more than a few... but i am sure you get what i mean.... haha) screws.

i can't wait to put up pics of my coop when it's done heeheeeheee.
wee.gif

edited to say: and @ 45 cents a square foot, you can't beat the price (that's how much mine cost me)... i would never want to paint.. i'm way to lazy!

Last edited:
I have a 4' X 4' elevated floor on my small coop that I put the 1'X1' peel and stick tiles on ($0.39/tile at HD). I was SO disappointed right from the start. The corners on many peeled up and I had to keep pushing them down. I really wanted to find a single piece of linoleum, but I couldn't anywhere. Then, the funny thing was they started staying down and now (within the first month) and they are well bonded to the plywood floor. I've had them in for 6 months and I love them. They make such a difference in clean-up. It's super easy to sweep up the pine shavings from its smooth surface.

I'm in the flooring business (sell hardwood flooring) and I suggest going to a floor covering store and see what vinyl roll remnants they have!! Leftovers from a recent job, etc....once its under bedding material who cares if its 2 or 3 different patterns!!

Roll vinyl works better. And for easy installation, you can lay it in, trim the edges with a utility knife and staple it down with a staple gun (long leg staples are best). Down the road, very easy to take up

Just my 2 cents worth

Quote:
May I humbly suggest that you consider making your vinyl--linoleum is different--floor removable? Once you are finished building this sucker, you will NOT want to deconstruct it JUST to replace your vinyl floor. You can secure your vinyl in the same way that I am--use wood moulding to hold it down.
Make sure to create a BYC page, so we can "ooh" and "aah" over your work.
big_smile.png

Vinyl flooring do wear down over time. Sometimes you would get stubborn poop on the floor and sometimes it would take up the finish...just like my kitchen floor, beautiful but after six years of heavy traffic and washings, the finish is gone, the foam showing thru the floor. We should have sanded down the wooden floor and now its cupped so that is why we have a ripped effect on the lino.

Horse rubber mats removeable really do work, I dont know how many times I've tried to gouge out with my shovel, it stays there and I can wash it down with NO problems at all.

If I had to change anything, I should have those PVC or similar plastic woods for my foundation so I don't have to worry about rot.

We put in the tiles about 2 weeks ago, 30 1ft tiles for $7 a case. Did the painted plywood floor and 3rows up the wall. the floor tiles are sticking great, the wall tiles I had to staple the very next day, after they came down. But I really love it. Wood chips on top of tiles and every day I just scoop up poo with a cat litter scoop. No smell, no flies and nothing seems to be sticking to the floor.

Quote:
May I humbly suggest that you consider making your vinyl--linoleum is different--floor removable? Once you are finished building this sucker, you will NOT want to deconstruct it JUST to replace your vinyl floor. You can secure your vinyl in the same way that I am--use wood moulding to hold it down.
Make sure to create a BYC page, so we can "ooh" and "aah" over your work.
big_smile.png

i do not forsee the floor getting into to much trouble... as i am going to have the deep litter method going anyways and am going to wait until its dry out to put on the floor. though i do see your point as valid. i really don't forsee the floor getting as much through traffic as a kitchen would.... lol. they're gonna have a decent sized run and i am expecting them to utilize their coop in the same way as they are currently using their rabbit hutch.... for sleep only
smile.png

Yard full o' rocks :

I'm in the flooring business (sell hardwood flooring) and I suggest going to a floor covering store and see what vinyl roll remnants they have!! Leftovers from a recent job, etc....once its under bedding material who cares if its 2 or 3 different patterns!!

Roll vinyl works better. And for easy installation, you can lay it in, trim the edges with a utility knife and staple it down with a staple gun (long leg staples are best). Down the road, very easy to take up

Just my 2 cents worth

good idea with the staples.. i don't know why i didn't think of that!
smile.png
thanks​

Last edited:
I used the peel-n-stick in my coop and love them. I had one that the corner had started to come up on, but I just glued it back down. I haven't had any other issues, and it's easy to clean. My father-in-law uses sand, and he has commented how he likes the linoleum for ease of cleaning... We put them on in the hot sun, so they would slide a bit if we stepped on them at first, but I think in the long run, it helped stick them down better. I think we paid around $0.75 per tile for ours.

We put the peel and stick 1 ft square vinyl tiles. Cheapest ones at home depot (37 cents per square x 32 squares). placed them on plywood but first painted with an adhesive to assist with sticking. Left it in the sun (90-100+ degrees) for 2-3 weeks while we were on vacation. Came home, still looks great! We then built the coop on top of the floor. I painted the inside of the coop but did not go up the walls with the tiles. So far, works great - can't see them because of the litter. Our floor is 8 x 4 so we didn't need to trim or cut anything!

Last edited:
The main issue with peel and stick is the adhesive failure that results from the expansion and contraction of the wood underneath during changes in the humidity levels. Basically the wood moves and the tile don't!

Back
Top Bottom