Commercial Feed vs. Homemade Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be on this website quite a bit when I had chickens twelve years ago. Everything about raising chickens has changed like fodder and fermenting feed.
I had access to a feed store back then, something I don’t have now. Nor do I have a car. My daughter works six days a week. I babysit my granddaughter at my home three days a week in one state and her father and paternal grandfather watches her three days a week in the other state. I can’t expect my daughter to pick up feed for me across the state line when she’s so busy. That’s where the nearest store is. So I would have to have feed delivered which raises the cost for me. I used to buy the typical feeds but would mix in store bought oats and bird seed which has the black oil seeds, cracked corn, milo and millet. I gave them kitchen scraps as well. I had about sixty chickens back then and only one chicken died on me. I started selling eggs. My egg shells were thick and the eggs were a deep orange. The hens were healthy and happy and disease free. I sold them when I moved out of state back then.
So I’m planning on getting less than six chickens in 2021. I need to find a feed that doesn’t cost much and that I could supplement with store bought additions like oats, lentils, split peas and toss in meal worms. So, I’ve been re-educating myself about Chicken care but I happen upon two different theories. One that chicks and hens must have commercially made feed vs. scratch, fodder and fermented feeds. So many people feel that a mash or pellet is a necessity even though chickens never had this until recently. Another is that scratch is like junk food even though this is some of the foods that chickens ate before commercially made feeds. Fodder and Fermenting are ways of stretching feed. I saw a YouTube video where someone took scratch and grinded up to make a chicken starter. I was thinking, that’s no different than what chicken starter is. But we’re often told that you must buy your feed? But why?
I’m not going to have free range chickens or run in a chicken tractor because I’m disabled and unable to physically move a tractor around. I’m going to have a fixed coop. What I want is a feed recipe that I can afford so it isn’t a high cost like it was previously. I intend to soak the scratch (with less corn and mostly other ingredients in it) overnight to bulk up the feed. Not necessarily fermenting. But I’m planning on adding split peas, oats, and food scraps and garden waste. And possibly adding Apple cider vinegar to their water. In other countries, they too just make their own feed out of whole grains. If worms and bugs are added and I can also make fodder to help. Why isn’t that considered a good feed for them? This is what I’m learning towards.

You’re over thinking this. Since you’ve successfully raised chickens in the past trust your instincts. Chickens today are no different now than when you raised them.

Commercial feeds, whether National Brands (e.g., Purina or Nutrena) or Regional Brands, are specifically formulated to meet the dietery requirements of poultry at specific life stages (i.e., starter, grower, layer, etc.). These feeds contain all of the nutrients, vitamins, minerals and probiotics at the daily dietery levels needed for a healthy flock. The majority of people (me included) do not have sufficient knowledge of the specific daily dietery needs of chickens so commercial feeds take care of that for us and our chickens. Chickens whose dietery needs are not properly met are more susceptible to disease or infection (e.g., necrotic enteritis) caused, in part, by an imbalance of their intestinal flora thus allowing bad bacteria to flourish. So, unless you have a working knowledge of how to properly mix a nutrient complete feed, I would suggest you feed commercial. If you do have such knowledge then go for it.

I’m also of the opinion that it will be more expensive per pound to purchase all of the ingredients needed to make your own complete feed. Scratch grains, mealworms, etc. are good for treats in moderation (10% or less of daily diet) but are not a complete feed.

You’re over thinking this. Since you’ve successfully raised chickens in the past trust your instincts. Chickens today are no different now than when you raised them.

Commercial feeds, whether National Brands (e.g., Purina or Nutrena) or Regional Brands, are specifically formulated to meet the dietery requirements of poultry at specific life stages (i.e., starter, grower, layer, etc.). These feeds contain all of the nutrients, vitamins, minerals and probiotics at the daily dietery levels needed for a healthy flock. The majority of people (me included) do not have sufficient knowledge of the specific daily dietery needs of chickens so commercial feeds take care of that for us and our chickens. Chickens whose dietery needs are not properly met are more susceptible to disease or infection (e.g., necrotic enteritis) caused, in part, by an imbalance of their intestinal flora thus allowing bad bacteria to flourish. So, unless you have a working knowledge of how to properly mix a nutrient complete feed, I would suggest you feed commercial. If you do have such knowledge then go for it.

I’m also of the opinion that it will be more expensive per pound to purchase all of the ingredients needed to make your own complete feed. Scratch grains, mealworms, etc. are good for treats in moderation (10% or less of daily diet) but are not a complete feed.

Thanks. I’m planning on buying the bulk of it before I get chickens and then use grocery store oats, barley, split peas, lentils etc to add to it. I did that before. And wild bird seed which has the rest of the grains. It would be very expensive if I had to buy them individually every month. There’s a chicken vitamin that could be added for their vitamin needs to ensure they have that. I’m trying to make my cost per month minimum. I still have to buy things for my granddaughter. Plus I’ll have garden scraps and food scraps. There’s so many times this year I wish I could toss somethings to them. When I had chickens before I just bought the feed locally and mixed in the bird seed and oats. But not having a feed store nearby, the cost of feed per month plus shipping would be out of my range now. I want healthy birds and plan on giving a diversity of grains and greens..

There are several things you may not have thought of.

It very likely will be more expensive to buy everything separately, because you will be buying thosr ingredients in smaller quantities from a store. Mealworms and wild bird food seed are super expensive where I live. Commercial chicken feed is much cheaper.

You say you are disabled, so have you thought about all the extra hefting about of different sacks you would have to do?

I assume you've got all the spare time to be faffing about mixing foods, and plenty of dry storage bins to keep it all in?

You mention soaking to stretch it. That is just adding water, not nutrition. They will need to eat just as much.

Is there a local chicken keeping group (FB/4H) or neighbour who can add your order to theirs and bring you the feed? Might be an option worth exploring.

Or maybe your daughter can help after all, since you are providing a lot of free childcare for her. Bringing a sack of feed once every month or two isn't a big deal.

Have you thought about whether this is really a feasible and affordable project for you? If you cannot afford feed, then perhaps you cannot afford to get chickens? What about the cost of their housing, and ongoing care? They will need money spent on worming, bedding, medicine, parasite treatments etc over the course of their lives.

There are several things you may not have thought of.

It very likely will be more expensive to buy everything separately, because you will be buying thosr ingredients in smaller quantities from a store. Mealworms and wild bird food seed are super expensive where I live. Commercial chicken feed is much cheaper.

You say you are disabled, so have you thought about all the extra hefting about of different sacks you would have to do?

I assume you've got all the spare time to be faffing about mixing foods, and plenty of dry storage bins to keep it all in?

You mention soaking to stretch it. That is just adding water, not nutrition. They will need to eat just as much.

Is there a local chicken keeping group (FB/4H) or neighbour who can add your order to theirs and bring you the feed? Might be an option worth exploring.

Or maybe your daughter can help after all, since you are providing a lot of free childcare for her. Bringing a sack of feed once every month or two isn't a big deal.

Have you thought about whether this is really a feasible and affordable project for you? If you cannot afford feed, then perhaps you cannot afford to get chickens? What about the cost of their housing, and ongoing care? They will need money spent on worming, bedding, medicine, parasite treatments etc over the course of their lives.

Wow. That’s degrading. Because I’m disabled I must have all the time in the world? Perhaps I can’t afford them? Really?? I was disabled when I had sixty chickens. The only difference is that I didn’t use a cane. I use one now. I know what caring for chickens entail. Being disabled doesn’t mean that I can’t handle caring for them or having them. That’s ridiculous and insulting. Being disabled also doesn’t mean I sit on my duff all day either. I take care of my one year old granddaughter. I’ve babysat her since she was eight weeks old. DISABLED. If I can care for an actual human being, I’m sure six chickens will be fine in my care. And I have a dog that has lived in my disabled care for three years. Like really??
Noticed I didn’t say I was unprepared for them? I am waiting till next year to get them so I have everything set up for them. Disabled doesn’t mean lazy. It doesn’t mean incapable. I was just explaining my circumstances so anyone reading this doesn’t think I can do physically what I can’t. But if I can lift 40 lb bags of soil for my gardens, I’m sure I can handle this. I’m absolutely disgusted by your comment.

Last edited:
Wow. That’s degrading. Because I’m disabled I must have all the time in the world? Perhaps I can’t afford them? Really?? I was disabled when I had sixty chickens. The only difference is that I didn’t use a cane. I use one now. I know what caring for chickens entail. Being disabled doesn’t mean that I can’t handle caring for them or having them. That’s ridiculous and insulting. Being disabled also doesn’t mean I sit on my duff all day either. I take care of my one year old granddaughter. I’ve babysat her since she was eight weeks old. DISABLED. If I can care for an actual human being, I’m sure six chickens will be fine in my care. Like really??
Noticed I didn’t say I was unprepared for them? I am waiting till next year to get them so I have everything set up for them. Disabled doesn’t mean lazy. It doesn’t mean incapable. I was just explaining my circumstances so anyone reading this doesn’t think I can do physically what I can’t. But if I can lift 40 lb bags of soil for my gardens, I’m sure I can handle this. I’m absolutely disgusted by your comment.
I really felt the comment was asking do you have the extra time to mix the feed. I didn’t feel they were trying to be rude. It’s difficult to convey meaning in text sometimes, and even more difficult when we don’t know the person on the other side of the screen.

I made my own price calculator for mixing my own feed, and even when buying grains in 50 pound bulk bags, they still cost more than buying the ORGANIC feed, not to mention non-organic. And nothing will ever be as nutritious as commercial feed unless you want to get additives, like brewers yeast or whatever, which ups the price mor

Which feed store did you say was close to your daughter’s work? I know tractor supply sells their feed for about $11-ish a bag and it’s 50 lbs. It’s really hard to beat that price in my opinion. I can’t speak for other feed stores though. For the number of birds you’re wanting to get, if she could get two bags at a time as a small thank you for babysitting, that should last you maybe two months.

My neighbor formulates feed for the commercial industry and says tons of research has been done commercially to support the use of fermenting feeds. It makes the nutrients more easy to absorb and supports gut health.

I wish you the best of luck! I’d be anxious to get back to enjoying chickens if I were you.

Wow. That’s degrading. Because I’m disabled I must have all the time in the world? Perhaps I can’t afford them? Really?? I was disabled when I had sixty chickens. The only difference is that I didn’t use a cane. I use one now. I know what caring for chickens entail. Being disabled doesn’t mean that I can’t handle caring for them or having them. That’s ridiculous and insulting. Being disabled also doesn’t mean I sit on my duff all day either. I take care of my one year old granddaughter. I’ve babysat her since she was eight weeks old. DISABLED. If I can care for an actual human being, I’m sure six chickens will be fine in my care. And I have a dog that has lived in my disabled care for three years. Like really??
Chicalina absolutely did not mean it in that way.

Hopefully you can find your answer and get your birds feed you are happy with.

Chicalina absolutely did not mean it in that way.

Hopefully you can find your answer and get your birds feed you are happy with.

That may be the case but that was absolutely how I interpreted it. I would prefer to focus on the subject of the feed and not whether I should be physically capable of raising chickens or whether I can afford them. I can but my desire is to keep the cost low.
It’s just like the fact that I was spending probably $150 a month on bulk diapers and wipes for my granddaughter for my house. So I changed to cloth diapers. She’s still diapered but the cost has dropped dramatically. I want to provide them with what they need but in a more cost efficient way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom