Common defects thread

Defect at my place (but not common, and have no pics):

Extremely nasty, bratty roos. They don't get to pass their snotty genes on. We haven't had a nasty roo in a while!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh man, I have one of those. The little jerk tries to fly at me from his cage, all two mighty pounds of him. but I need his genes-the weirdest thing about it is, I have a son of his who is the gosh darn sweetest rooster I've ever had. He's like a puppy. It is SO weird.

Can't wait for the little turd to get too old to produce good semen so I can turn him into stew.

Here is a picture of the feet of a 12-week-old splash Orpington pullet. She had some difficulty learning to stand and walk when she first hatched, but she got the hang of things after a few hours of rolling over onto her back.

About a month later, we realized that two of her toes were bent; splinting didn't seem to make a difference at that point. She walks and perches just fine, and even runs just as fast as any of our other chickens. I don't know if her defect is hereditary or not, but I am not planning to breed her anyway.

14377_bent_toes.jpg

Quote:
I have a Salmon Faverolle pullet with toes just like that. We hatched out one of her eggs yesterday... babies feet are fine.

Quote:
That's good to know. This chick was a "late hatcher" from our first hatching attempt. I was also wondering if her condition could have been caused by temperature fluctuations during incubation.

I love this thread! This is such an educational group!

Along this same theme, is there anywhere on BYC where you can put a picture of your roo and see if it is a good enough roo to breed? Kind of checking him for defects?

Perhaps PM me if you have the answer so the thread stays on track? Thanks! I hope to see more defect photos, those are fascinating. Those ones that show "proper" along with the defect combs are most helpful for us newbies.

Quote:
Thanks! I've wanted to make this thread for a while but just had too much stuff going on until now.

The place to post pictures for the rooster would be on this part of the forum, the breeding and genetics page. I think there are several threads right now where birds are being questioned on their quality.

Hopefully there will be more pics of defected birds coming
wink.png

Quote:
That's good to know. This chick was a "late hatcher" from our first hatching attempt. I was also wondering if her condition could have been caused by temperature fluctuations during incubation.

It's possible that the crooked bones were caused by varying heat and humidity during incubation. Here's a good link-
http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-industry/articles/hatchability-problem- and go down to no. 17, crooked toes/spraddle leg, etc.

But in the case of genetically crooked toes, you would never want to breed a bird with crooked toes regardless of quality otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom