Community service

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fierlin1182, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I have no idea what to do for it! [​IMG]

Starting next year, as part of the IB, I've got to do 50 hours of "community service". I'm not sure if this means volunteering or something else. [​IMG] I've done a bit of googling, all the places I'd be interested in volunteering need you to be 18 years or older. I'm stumped.

This is the description they offer on the IB website, so no specific ideas there.

Giving importance to the sense of community throughout the programme encourages responsible citizenship as it seeks to deepen the adolescent's knowledge and understanding of the world around them. The emphasis is on developing community awareness and concern, and the skills needed to make an effective contribution to society.

What kinds of volunteer work did you do as a teenager?

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I've volunteered at the Kansas City zoo before. It was around Halloween, and so I made pipe cleaner spiders for about four hours. [​IMG]

3. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I volunteered at a Nursing Home, ie, talked to residents, helped make phone calls, helped them to dining room for their lunch and/or dinner, etc. It was kind of eye opening to see how much some residents really look forward to just have someone to talk to or share their stories with.[​IMG]

4. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I helped clean up the gardens at the Columban Fathers' Home, I ran a trick or treat event for disabled children, I worked at a bunch of lock-in events for younger kids, I helped usher at church, or do any chores that needed to be done, I volunteered at the VA hospital parties, or just at the local VFW. There are plenty of ways you can help your community, and thereby help yourself.

5. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Hmm, working with disabled kids sounds like it might be cool. Pipe cleaner spiders too. [​IMG] I'm not really a chatter, despite what my post count might indicate, so I don't know how much good I'd be to the old folks. I tend to go all quiet when I'm talking to people I don't really know. [​IMG] (Although if they just need a listening ear, that's a whole other story... [​IMG])

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    your local animal shelter - walking dogs, answering phones, etc. your library. soup kitchen.

what are you interested in or studying? My daughter started out as a library volunteer and now she's an employee. So find something that you like and maybe it could turn into something more permanent?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm having a brain malfunction. What is the IB?

Starting next year, as part of the IB

8. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    I looked up RSPCA volunteering - I can't work there due to one of their requirements. [​IMG] I was looking forward to perhaps taking something up with animals!

My interests... no way. [​IMG] They wouldn't let me anywhere near the places where I'd like to work later on. [​IMG]

I'd be happy with just a regular volunteering job to get my 50 hours and do some good while I'm at it. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  9. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:
    International B.... dang, I can't spell it. I'll go consult the website. [​IMG]
    This

As opposed to SACE, which apparently makes it harder to get into overseas universities although the school likes to claim that isn't true. [​IMG]

10. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    you can volunteer at a nursing home, they love it.
    A food pantry in your area,you need to be over 14 so i think your good.
    Shop for a needy family at Christmas,
    Bell ring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by