12 O-Clock Choir

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Howdy! I have just been given an exceedingly elderly female ringneck dove, and am considering getting her a companion. She currently lives in a room containing two other cages with her mate and daughter of some years ago, but is going to be moved soon to a new home very far away. At this new home she is likely to be alone in a room for large stretchs of time each day, and I'm worried that she will get lonely. She lives in a 1.5' x 2.5' x 1.5' cage with a solid floor and plenty of raised shelves, so perhaps another bird of about the same or smaller size would be okay to keep with her in the enclosure? I'm considering maybe a coturnix quail or a diamond dove, but I think the quail would be a little safer since I think it's closer to ringneck doves in size. On a related note, if I gave a quail egg to a lone female ringneck dove, would she hatch it? I'm very new to the bird scene, so I'm grateful for any advice you have to give!

Howdy! I have just been given an exceedingly elderly female ringneck dove, and am considering getting her a companion. She currently lives in a room containing two other cages with her mate and daughter of some years ago, but is going to be moved soon to a new home very far away. At this new home she is likely to be alone in a room for large stretchs of time each day, and I'm worried that she will get lonely. She lives in a 1.5' x 2.5' x 1.5' cage with a solid floor and plenty of raised shelves, so perhaps another bird of about the same or smaller size would be okay to keep with her in the enclosure? I'm considering maybe a coturnix quail or a diamond dove, but I think the quail would be a little safer since I think it's closer to ringneck doves in size. On a related note, if I gave a quail egg to a lone female ringneck dove, would she hatch it? I'm very new to the bird scene, so I'm grateful for any advice you have to give!
She wouldn't hatch the egg unless she's broody, but then you would have to take it and raise it because she'll try to feed it. Also, quail need to eat gamebird feed and doves don't. I would get another dove. Quail also don't perch, so it would stay on the ground all the time. They wouldn't be good companions. Another dove would be better. But if your dove is elderly keep in mind that the new dove will be alone and you'll have to find another one.

She wouldn't hatch the egg unless she's broody, but then you would have to take it and raise it because she'll try to feed it. Also, quail need to eat gamebird feed and doves don't. I would get another dove. Quail also don't perch, so it would stay on the ground all the time. They wouldn't be good companions. Another dove would be better. But if your dove is elderly keep in mind that the new dove will be alone and you'll have to find another one.

Thank you! I was hoping to get something with a shorter lifespan since the ringneck IS quite elderly (she cannot even fly anymore) and it was my intention to pursue other bird varieties (most likely quail) when she does eventually die. But perhaps I can find another elderly dove for adoption somewhere that would appreciate a companion in its last years.

Thank you! I was hoping to get something with a shorter lifespan since the ringneck IS quite elderly (she cannot even fly anymore) and it was my intention to pursue other bird varieties (most likely quail) when she does eventually die. But perhaps I can find another elderly dove for adoption somewhere that would appreciate a companion in its last years.
Maybe a finch or something? Quail are awesome birds. I have 5 Bobwhites and they're so fun.

No on the quail I would say. It will bully the elderly dove... and a male one will try to mate with her and injure her.

They also need different foods and care.

Even a zebra finch will pluck out her feathers when it decides to make a nest.

In a cage it is not a good idea to mix different species.

Why not keep her with her mate and get a new mate for thier baby?

Otherwise, the father will mate with the baby!!

Is her mate not a similar age to her anyway?

Consider keeping the dove yourself, or at least finding a better home for her if you want to get rid of her. Knowing it will be alone for hours a day should tell you that is cruel to the dove. If the person can't spend time with their pet, then they shoudl not keep it.

Back
Top Bottom