Companions for bantams

Sweetmisery85

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2020
I currently have three bantams, 2 sebright and 1 silkie. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a good full size companion to add to the flock? I was looking at Coucou Maran , Sussex, white leghorn, Rhode Rock, Blacktail, Bluebell, Isa browns. Would any of these be suitable?
Thanks

Why do you want large fowl to go with your bantams?

The best companion for bantams are more bantams!!

Many many standard breeds come in bantam form: RIR, Orps, Wyandottes, Sussex, Old English Game, New Hampshire, as well as some more well known bantam breeds like seramas and cochins.

I would also ask - what are you looking for to add to your flock? Egg laying, colour, variety of shape, petting quality, breeding...?

I planned to get a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte from a friend who was getting out of chickens. She rightly pointed out that I shouldn't get a single bird. There was an entire flock of full-sized hens and two Cochin Bantams. Those little gems came home with me, and their "big sister" -- who was used to living with them -- seemed protective of the little ones. Today, Sally and Gabby are afraid of No One in the flock. Last week, a big hen stole one of Sally's treats, and that fierce little girl grabbed onto the bigger one's feathers and wouldn't let go. Gabby also stands her ground against the bigs.

Right now, I have three 5-week-old Cochin Bantams in a brooder with a Columbian Wyandotte and a Bielefelder. I was going to separate them into Bantams and big girls, but everyone has gotten along fine, so having one less brooder to care for works for me.

I think it's more dependent on the hens' individual personalities than on the breed. In any case, good luck with finding hen harmony.

Back
Top Bottom