1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comparing store bought eggs vs eggs from your girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackyardChick12, Aug 23, 2013.

1. BackyardChick12

BackyardChick12 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    I was talking to my old neighbor over the phone & telling them how much I miss their eggs. I asked them if they ever compared theirs to the ones you get at the grocery store both visually & in taste. They hadn't until a week ago when they got "Eggland's Cage-free". They couldn't believe the difference! Now they know why I miss them soo much ;) So, who else has compared theirs with store bought, & what were your reactions/thoughts?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine have tougher shells, richer color, and richer taste.

Chris

3. Gramma5

Gramma5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I buy Wegmans Organic cage free as mine are only laying 4 eggs per day at this point. To me my eggs are creamier and not as strong tasting. The shells are also much thicker.

I did the freshness test on those eggs last week and they all stood on their ends. They got hard boiled and went to the dogs and chickens.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The difference is so noticeable I can hardly eat eggs at any restaurant, now. I always love omelets.... Luckily, up here in the foothills, I have found a couple diners which must be getting their eggs from some supplier with REAL "free range" layers.

Amazing how much better eggs taste when the hens can find earwigs, spiders, beetles, grubs, etc. All that bug-source niacin. Nummy!

:lau

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Wow, you use a lot of eggs. I guess you have kids. :)

6. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I never realized how much difference there is until I got our first a couple of weeks ago. Deep orange yolks, thick shells, delicious flavor. Totally worth it! And I love my girls! (and boys)

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The most noticeable to me was comparing them hard boiled. A store bought hard boiled egg is more rubbery.

But yes, there is a huge difference all around - with yolk coloring, flavor, texture, shell strength, etc.

The last time I had to buy store bought eggs, I pulverized the shells by giving it the hard whack I usually give my eggs. Whoops!

8. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    All of the above - plus smell. Some of those store bought eggs really stink up the kitchen when they are cooked.

I describe my eggs as tasting clean - not sure how else to describe it.

My customers can tell the difference too. They get a desperate, fearful look in their eyes when I don't have enough to sell and they have to buy from the grocery store. I find that quite satisfying. LOL

9. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    We were asked out to a fancy buffet in town - they had an omelette bar where they make an omelette in front of you. As the waitress was describing the options, I asked if we could bring our own eggs. I got a few stunned looks from around the table but my wife and I had a good laugh.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by