Comparison...roo?

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
I have 2 Wyandottes. Both are about 4.5 weeks. I've included a pic of them side by side - which I might add was nearly impossible to get lol - as well as one of each. Meg is on the right, Ellen is on the left. Just in the past couple days I noticed Meg's comb getting darker than Ellen's. The way it's reddening up makes me think she isn't a she :( I can't keep roos where I live.

I tried getting better overall pics of Meg, but she/he hates to be held and never sits still. As you can see, Ellen (on the table) is slightly more cooperative.

IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0625.jpg

I have 2 Wyandottes. Both are about 4.5 weeks. I've included a pic of them side by side - which I might add was nearly impossible to get lol - as well as one of each. Meg is on the right, Ellen is on the left. Just in the past couple days I noticed Meg's comb getting darker than Ellen's. The way it's reddening up makes me think she isn't a she :( I can't keep roos where I live.

I tried getting better overall pics of Meg, but she/he hates to be held and never sits still. As you can see, Ellen (on the table) is slightly more cooperative.

View attachment 1058053 View attachment 1058054 View attachment 1058055
I was once in a situation like yours. I waited until 9 weeks old to have a true confirmation of my Wyandotte of being a pullet. My girl was not an easy one to guess about her gender when she was very young. Some obvious cockerel can be spotted as early as 4 weeks of age. Mine's comb reddened and got a bit big at 3 weeks old, with a slight wattle development. I started panicking. I kept asking for opinions, nearly everyone said it was a cockerel. Nothing really changed about her over the 6 weeks later, when I noticed more of a pullet look regarding feathering and the comb never got any darker nor bigger or wattles got any bigger either than when at 3 weeks old. She's a beautiful girl now.

I've seen many people on the boards claim they can tell after 4 weeks. That is why I posted now.
Many folks can tell that early. ....breed and individual bird factor into that. In your case neither bird is showing glaringly obvious signs of being male, so it becomes a "check again in a week or two" answer as it is still very much possible they are males

Back
Top Bottom