Complete feed???

LopezFOWL

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2018
help I just realized I was not feeding my fowl complete feed but a supplement I read the back and said it was only to be given as a supplement so what should I feed them as a complete feed?

When you go to the feed store you'll see the chicken feeds labeled something like this.

Starter, both medicated and non medicated is for starting chicks. Usually 18 percent for layer breeds and 22ish for Broilers. If you ever go with Ducklings you want the Broiler starter or Gamebird starter.

Grower, this is for the stage between the chick stage and before they are laying eggs. It is usually between 15 and 17 percent protein. For the sake of convenience some feed companies combine their starter and grower. The name brand feeds will list the ages but for the most part you feed grower or starter/grower until 18 weeks old when layers are getting ready to lay.

Layer, This is for female chickens that are laying or about to lay. Most feed companies recommend switching to layer anywhere from their first egg to about a month before hand so they can build up the calcium levels in their body. You do not want growing chicks eating this on a regular basis as the higher levels of calcium are not good for them.

All Flock, This is for people with mixed flocks of various ages and/or various species such as Ducks, Guineas, Turkeys, etc. So if you have roosters and broody hens with baby chicks this is a popular option. You can also use Starter or Grower for this style of feeding as well. Keep in mind it is very important to free feed Oyster shell so your laying hens can get the calcium they would otherwise be getting in Layer feed.

so what should I feed them as a complete feed
So looking at your avatar, I assume you have Chickens.
I feed my Chickens a Poultry feed with 18 to 20% Protein.
I feed a Medicated Start and Grow 18%, to day old Chicks through 10 weeks.
Then I buy a Non-medicated Starter Grower 18% or All-Flock/Flock Raiser 20%.whichever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC.
I also provide Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I am currently feeding 6 months old Pullets and 35 months old Hens.
My first Flock feather picked when I switched to a 16% Layers feed. GC

This is a super easy one. Go to your feed or farm store and go to where the feeds are located. Look until you find one that says "All Flock." Get that one. While you're there, look around and find a bag of crushed oyster shell, get a bag of that too. Feed the feed and put the shell in a dish for them, easy peasy done.

Back
Top Bottom