Completely lost on what to feed my chickens

Also, only the chickens that need calcium will help themselves to the OS. The roosters and others will leave it alone, although a rooster may sample it just to see what it is. Serve the OS and grit in separate bowls; don't mix them.
Thank you! Im going to look for some feed with no calcium, i put some calcium shells in a different dish and the hens are of course loving it, what brand of feed do you recommend buying?

Sorry, I fell asleep! Thanks to @rosemarythyme for picking up the slack! Chickens have no teeth, so they need grit, little stones that go in their gizzards, strong muscles in their digestive systems that grind up their food. If there is fine gravel where you live they may be picking up what they need from the ground, but IMO it's better to be sure by providing it. It's not expensive and a bag wil last a really long time. Keep in mind that grit and oyster shell (OS) are two different things and they need both. OS is also not expensive and a bag will last a long time. It may even seem like they are not eating it, but they do.
Got it! Thats good to know. I’ll look for some at Tractor Supply next time i go.

I don't have males but oyster shell on the side 24/7 should provide the calcium needed. I've also started mixing in crushed eggshell as some birds prefer that over oyster.

Dirt is not grit. If you have very hard stones (i.e. granite) in the dirt then that can be used. You're looking for stones around the layer size range.
View attachment 3375841
Since i have a rooster can he have the layer grit as well?
Thanks!

Thank you! Im going to look for some feed with no calcium, i put some calcium shells in a different dish and the hens are of course loving it, what brand of feed do you recommend buying?
We don't have all that many options where we live. We take what shows up. To me the brand name is not as important as the % of protein and the mill date. You want what's fresh, as far as the date is concerned.* And as for protein, I'm probably going to confuse you and I'm NOT an expert!**. So consider this a general sorta-introduction by a very green newbie!

Most layer feed (this is the one with calcium) is going to be about 16% protein. You'll also find formulas with 18% and up to 22% protein. The higher protein formulas may variously be labeled something like "Feather Fixer," "Grower," or "Meat Bird." We will use different formulas at different times of the year, depending on what our birds need, as best we can tell.

Before I end I will see if some of our REAL experts will come take over for me before I make a, er, donkey of myself!

I'm glad you're giving your flock calcium and that they like it! But don't forget they need grit too.

@aart
@Ridgerunner

I feed my chickens Eggland's Best Starter/Grower feed which has 19% protein and I feed to all my chickens regardless of age as I never know when a hen will go broody and hatch out chicks. I order mine from Chewy.com and it autoships based on when I need it. I don't keep any boys past 14-16 weeks so I offer a Poultrycal on the side which covers both calcium and grit.

Do whatever works best for you, as long as you are providing your chickens with the nutrients they need, how they get it is up to you.

Best of luck!

I feed my chickens Eggland's Best Starter/Grower feed which has 19% protein and I feed to all my chickens regardless of age as I never know when a hen will go broody and hatch out chicks. I order mine from Chewy.com and it autoships based on when I need it. I don't keep any boys past 14-16 weeks so I offer a Poultrycal on the side which covers both calcium and grit.

Do whatever works best for you, as long as you are providing your chickens with the nutrients they need, how they get it is up to you.

Best of luck!
If you shop at tractor supply, look for either Nutrena "All flock" or Purina "Flock Raiser", they are both a higher protein feed (20%) without the added calcium. Tractor supply also sell huge 50lb bags of Manna Pro oyster shell.
I use both products and my girls do very well on it.
We don't have all that many options where we live. We take what shows up. To me the brand name is not as important as the % of protein and the mill date. You want what's fresh, as far as the date is concerned.* And as for protein, I'm probably going to confuse you and I'm NOT an expert!**. So consider this a general sorta-introduction by a very green newbie!

Most layer feed (this is the one with calcium) is going to be about 16% protein. You'll also find formulas with 18% and up to 22% protein. The higher protein formulas may variously be labeled something like "Feather Fixer," "Grower," or "Meat Bird." We will use different formulas at different times of the year, depending on what our birds need, as best we can tell.

Before I end I will see if some of our REAL experts will come take over for me before I make a, er, donkey of myself!

I'm glad you're giving your flock calcium and that they like it! But don't forget they need grit too.

@aart
@Ridgerunner
Thank you so much! When it comes to chickens their food is probably the thing i know least (even though its one of the most important things.) So this is amazing.

I just have one more question, if a chicken is molting, do i need to give different food to her individually or the flock? Sorry if some of my questions seem silly.

If you shop at tractor supply, look for either Nutrena "All flock" or Purina "Flock Raiser", they are both a higher protein feed (20%) without the added calcium. Tractor supply also sell huge 50lb bags of Manna Pro oyster shell.
I use both products and my girls do very well on it.
yes! I say use these all flock or flock raiser. with 20% protein.

the issue with layer feed is that 16% protein is great if that's all they ever eat. no scratch grain and no kitchen scraps and no forage.

what happens is when you let them eat other things the actual protein content they receive drops dramatically. I ended up with birds picking off each others feathers and eating them due to this.

the feed like layer was formulated for commercial birds. in a big commercial facility and the only food they have access to is that feed. so the "ration" is exactly what they need. nothing more.

but our home flocks aren't managed like that. we love them and give them treats and let them forage. so a higher protein content is needed in the feed to counter our "love"

Thank you so much! When it comes to chickens their food is probably the thing i know least (even though its one of the most important things.) So this is amazing.

I just have one more question, if a chicken is molting, do i need to give different food to her individually or the flock? Sorry if some of my questions seem silly.
There are no silly questions. We were all newbies once, and you need info in order to take optimum care of your flock. Some day soon you'll be helping others along.

It's almost impossible to feed one chicken differently than the rest of the flock unless you isolate her, a bad plan for flock dynamics and also a royal pain. You can increase protein for everyone, it won't hurt them, and chances are if one is molting the others will soon follow anyway..

Back
Top Bottom