Complicated two way introduction - 8 week

nikniks

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Hello, I have a complicated situation.

- One old Aracauna, about 8 years old in the main coop.
- 4 Australorp chicks inside the house in a brooder now spending daily time in a closed cat panel structure in full visibility of the old hen.
- Old hen occasionally free ranged and around the cat panel enclosure.
- Over the last few weeks one of the 4 steadily reddened his comb and wattle and demonstrated that he was a cockerel.
(FYI that thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/7-week-australorp-pullet-or-cockerel.1447425/)

So long story short, today I'm getting an exchange for Ellie/Eric the cockerel. Dare2Dream is reputable with vaccinated chicks,

Question
Can the one new incoming 8 week peep directly go into the cat panel enclosure today with the other three and back into the house at night? We plan on releasing everyone this weekend, the main coop/run is being slightly modified to have a barrier but things are not ready today.

Or should I scramble and just intro everyone into main run TODAY itself (with temporary barrier in the run separating from old Aracauna). I'll have to scramble if so,

Will 8-week olds accept the new chick, specially if Im careful about moving them indoors at dusk, i really need that Saturday morning for getting the temporary run separator ready.

Last edited:
At 8 weeks they're just on the cusp of maybe accepting a newcomer, maybe not. I'd try the new bird with just the 8 week olds for now, when you have time to supervise, and see how they do as a group - if you're lucky it will be accepted right away and then you can continue to integrate with the older birds from there.

Okay so they got on JUST FINE with the new chick. Looks like taking out the cockerel and replacing with the new pullet that same day, within hours helped. I also threw them a snack to keep busy after I put in the new peep in the cat panel!

Tomorrow they will move to the new extension with a temporary barrier. I have a box that they can shelter in, feed and water. Hopefully at 8 weeks they will adjust to the night time California cold nights.

Back
Top Bottom