compost to feed chicken

abdiro

Chirping
Jan 8, 2021
N Y
hello guys i am new here i saw a lot of posts and i really like and enjoy how you help and give advises .i wondring if i can feed the chicken 100/100 compost with no use of grain .i see a lot of videos about that and look not true and how is percentage recommended

Welcome to BYC!

Ivenot heard of feeding compost. I know chickens can dig through compost for grubs and things. But as far as I know, chickens either need lots of room and types of foliage to forage or commercial feed or milled grain specially mixed for chickens.

thanks for answer and how you recommended to use compost
Welcome to BYC!

Ivenot heard of feeding compost. I know chickens can dig through compost for grubs and things. But as far as I know, chickens either need lots of room and types of foliage to forage or commercial feed or milled grain specially mixed for chickens.

hello guys i am new here i saw a lot of posts and i really like and enjoy how you help and give advises .i wondring if i can feed the chicken 100/100 compost with no use of grain .i see a lot of videos about that and look not true and how is percentage recommended
members.jpg

You need a significant amount of active compost of feed chickens. It will need almost daily amendments of food scraps and other forageable materials. The idea is you want the birds to be able to forage on the additions as well as the bugs and insects that wind up crawling around in the pile. I would not recommend this approach to someone who has not been actively making a large amount of compost for a while. It's better suited to a farm environment with a large flock.

Agree 100% that it is tough and potentially inadvisable unless you live in a warm climate and have significant space for piles and forage.

Also, it is “in process” compost that would provide nutrition, not finished compost.

That being said, an appropriately sized, active pile can significantly reduce use of commercial feed.

I do this actively...I always have layer pellet available, but when the weather is cooperating and I’m getting lots of compost inputs, I see intake in commercial feed go down from 50-75%.

I hope to get out today for a load of food waste today, actually.

Attachments

• 6703F4E7-0BAF-4E12-9534-FFF756FFDE54.jpeg
    6703F4E7-0BAF-4E12-9534-FFF756FFDE54.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
You need a significant amount of active compost of feed chickens. It will need almost daily amendments of food scraps and other forageable materials. The idea is you want the birds to be able to forage on the additions as well as the bugs and insects that wind up crawling around in the pile. I would not recommend this approach to someone who has not been actively making a large amount of compost for a while. It's better suited to a farm environment with a large flock.
thanks for your advice and how you recommended to use it .i dont have a big flock but i can get compost and food scraps as much my chickens need once on week

Agree 100% that it is tough and potentially inadvisable unless you live in a warm climate and have significant space for piles and forage.

Also, it is “in process” compost that would provide nutrition, not finished compost.

That being said, an appropriately sized, active pile can significantly reduce use of commercial feed.

I do this actively...I always have layer pellet available, but when the weather is cooperating and I’m getting lots of compost inputs, I see intake in commercial feed go down from 50-75%.

I hope to get out today for a load of food waste today, actually.
thank you verry much for the information . do you use just compost to feed your flock or add commercial feed

Back
Top Bottom