Backyardchick00

Hatching
Apr 1, 2024
Hello!!! I’m helping raise backyard chickens and I’m starting to incorporate some supplements. The one that I was recommended was Poul-Vite which I have a question about. How many times say per week/month should I supply my chickens with it? I don’t want to give them too much vitamins but I also don’t want to give them too less. Thank you!

Hello!!! I’m helping raise backyard chickens and I’m starting to incorporate some supplements. The one that I was recommended was Poul-Vite which I have a question about. How many times say per week/month should I supply my chickens with it? I don’t want to give them too much vitamins but I also don’t want to give them too less. Thank you!
DVL Poul-Vite is typically only used for chicks in the first 3 days to give them a boost. Aside from that it's normally used to help boost immune systems in times of stress or sickness, although I generally recommend a vitamin and electrolyte supplement combination for that.
Anything other than a fat-soluble vitamin essentially gets flushed out every day essentially when you over supplement. If you are feeding a commercial feed it contains most of the vitamins needed for daily feed, and if you're giving fruits and veggies or other such scraps those are also fairly high in various vitamins.
What are you trying to do that you are adding supplements into the diet?

DVL Poul-Vite is typically only used for chicks in the first 3 days to give them a boost. Aside from that it's normally used to help boost immune systems in times of stress or sickness, although I generally recommend a vitamin and electrolyte supplement combination for that.
Anything other than a fat-soluble vitamin essentially gets flushed out every day essentially when you over supplement. If you are feeding a commercial feed it contains most of the vitamins needed for daily feed, and if you're giving fruits and veggies or other such scraps those are also fairly high in various vitamins.
What are you trying to do that you are adding supplements into the diet?
The chickens are within my school and they used to not be taken care of very well and they pick feathers because they are stressed. So i was recommended this to help boost feather growth and too help with the stress

The chickens are within my school and they used to not be taken care of very well and they pick feathers because they are stressed. So i was recommended this to help boost feather growth and too help with the stress
You can give vitamins short period, but I wouldn't do it more than a week at a time, especially if they have other food with concentrated vitamins in it...
If the chickens are extremely stressed due to environmental factors such as being inundated with lots of new people you can try chamomile.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...f new birds or challenging weather conditions.
Other than that, make sure they have toys and things around to distract them, hiding places, lots of roosting options (logs or tree branches work well for this). Those will all help with reducing stress.
Fair warning, if there are too many chickens in a cramped space the stress will continue to remain high.
Do you have any pictures of the school set up?

You can give vitamins short period, but I wouldn't do it more than a week at a time, especially if they have other food with concentrated vitamins in it...
If the chickens are extremely stressed due to environmental factors such as being inundated with lots of new people you can try chamomile.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-grow-chamomile-for-chickens-a-beginners-guide.78461/#:~:text=Furthermore, chamomile possesses calming properties that aid in,introduction of new birds or challenging weather conditions.
Other than that, make sure they have toys and things around to distract them, hiding places, lots of roosting options (logs or tree branches work well for this). Those will all help with reducing stress.
Fair warning, if there are too many chickens in a cramped space the stress will continue to remain high.
Do you have any pictures of the school set up?
I do not have any pictures of the setup but there have been vast improvements. we have new perches, roost boxes, toys, hiding spots and i just got them a swing. we routinely change the toys too for enrichment we also have a very large coop and extra space for the chickens. Thank you for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom