Composting chicken run

Pics
ROTFLOL for real! :lau
Hmmm. I don't understand physics so I'm confused. (No surprise there.) So if it was difficult to bend does that mean it is stronger when flatter? Or is a tall bend stronger?
:barnie:he:idunno
The CP are elastic (springs, if you will). Since they are springs, they spring back to the original shape. If you want to bend them, you have to overcome the spring point and deform them. (technical terms are elastic limits, modulus of elasticity and deformation point)

Keep in mind what we are doing. We don't want the hogs to break or snap the panels, so the panels have to give (spring back = harder to break). Depending on composition and treating, you can make iron (steel) someplace between brittle or elastic. Most applications are a give and take between the 2. Brittle springs break, but springy support structure doesn't stay plumb.

Another way to visualize this. A tree sways in the wind. A tree is elastic or springy. If the tree was rigid, it would be brittle and snap off. When the tree gets to it's breaking point (past the point of spring), it does snap.

To your question, So if it was difficult to bend does that mean it is stronger when flatter?, stronger in which direction? It was made to bend. If laid flat, will sag in the middle from it's own weight. To counter the sag, you spring it upwards. Hope this helps.

The CP are elastic (springs, if you will). Since they are springs, they spring back to the original shape. If you want to bend them, you have to overcome the spring point and deform them. (technical terms are elastic limits, modulus of elasticity and deformation point)
Well, kinda.
They are pretty soft steel, but will 'spring' back, to a point, but also kink pretty easily if bent too far. Once they kink they ain't going to spring back.

Well, kinda.
They are pretty soft steel, but will 'spring' back, to a point, but also kink pretty easily if bent too far. Once they kink they ain't going to spring back.
Kink or deform. Agree. End result is a bend. Do they bend or snap? I've never played with them.

Remember the school trick of breaking a paperclip in as few bends as possible? The trick was to bend it in the same spot (work harden) to failure.

Ain't physics fun, kids?

Hmm, in the ramblings on this thread, I haven't seen the OP in a while... :D Wonder what their take is on the very different responses to DLM they received.

Personally, I have found that DLM really varies depending on individual climate (even w/i states), current weather situations, materials available and even one's chickens. I have had chickens (amazingly) that seemed not to want to turn or "dig" in any DLM. I have had others that tear through materials so fast, constantly digging - that there seems to be a haze over their area (dust cloud, if you will).

Some folks really love sand. ME? I live on sand and I hate, hate, hate it and I have no clue how anyone could live with sand in a run situation. Maybe because I'm on existing sand and it's been here for years. It has what ever was originally in the sand and when it gets wet, it STINKS to high heaven no matter how well you "pick through or clean" it. I am doing my best to use individual chicken coops to change that sand to MUCH better composted material, inches to feet deep, that can then be used to amend other areas of sand - not only for gardening/gardens but for our pastures as well.

To that end, we did run a LOT of ponies for a while. We've gotten our pony numbers down from 35 (highest number) to currently 9 on the property (property issues are only 1 reason we have reduced our number and may get down to fewer w/ 3 for sale now) and they do not have access to all acreage but are currently in 2 "paddocks" sandwiched into approximately 7 acres that are fenced for them. We are slowly getting to the point of moving them similarly to cattle, sheep or goats (electric fencing set up w/i the perimeter of the field fenced 7 acres) - but that can be difficult as those are all ruminants that don't do a lot of flat out running (requiring larger more open space for stopping, turning and playing) like the ponies do. Still a big work in progress, not helped by the fact that 35 head, no matter how managed, turned out to be way too many for the approx 7 fenced acres (out of 21). Sooo, yes, we did actually move backwards for a bit and are now also dealing with overgrazing (but also, I now understand that the whole property is very poor in tilth & soil health).... I still put out round hay bales where the ponies are - they are put into areas that are still sandy. There is some waste of hay that I can live with as it helps to build the sand into soil. Of course there is then also plenty of manure (YAY!!).

We have tried moving chicken tractors around that chickens are allowed to free range from both in our pastures and even in our front yard - last year I lost whole flocks to a coyote (seen - always knows the distance of our guns & manages to avoid any/all traps set), fox (?? maybe??) and hawks during the day while I was at work - didn't matter that there were "hidey spots" or their own tractor w/i the poultry fencing. No longer will free range the larger chickens - but move much smaller tractors which they stay in all the time ( :( ). The bantams up by the house seem to be doing fine - and I'm getting ready to process a group of the resulting boys, which will significantly reduce the number of free rangers again... We currently have A LOT of small chicken tractors that we are moving every other day, now going into winter with fewer weeds & no new grass growth, we will need to move to new ground every day. We do not compost in those other than what the chickens themselves leave on the grass when the tractor is moved.

The current 4 stationary pen/coops in use (approx 8-9x8-9') in our back yard house between 2 - 4 full size chickens in each and 2 of the hooped 8x8' coops in the pony pasture have 4 chickens in 2 and 3 chickens in the 3rd. We are growing out some chicks now that will be added to the chicken pen with 3 bringing that total to 6 or 7. We now have bantam Cochin housed "under" one of the rabbit hutches in a pen behind our "barn" and some more bantam Cochin chicks that will go under the other hutch of 3 rabbit pens. "Auto DLM" that I am already using!! Oops - almost forgot the other 2 4x8 hooped coops. One is currently in use - 3 Orps (Lavender) are in it and I've started letting them out of it into a temporary pen while we are out and about on the property... These are the pens/coops we are utilizing DLM within and then using the "finished" product in our growing areas of garden and edible food forest that we are slowly growing. It is working for us. I hope to raise chicks next year from our current breeding groups that we can utilize to carry forward and the ones who don't make the grade will fill our freezer before others will be offered for sale. As we have DLM available it is also now being spread on our "pony pastures" where there is sand... VERY much a work in progress.

I plan on always having a few ponies around. But we are planting parts of the 7 acre fenced pasture to fruit and nut trees and also plan on having other small livestock to help with feeding our families (eventually, right now the care of extra livestock is just daunting to think about - will have to wait). We have another 11 forested acres that we will be pulling some of the pine, holly and scrub oak out of and planting other shrubs/fruit & nut trees in along with doing paths/trails through out for walking, and working/driving the ponies on. My original goal was to set up a "play ground" for equine w/ parking area and driving/riding trails that we could utilize and could share with other local equine enthusiasts catering to the smaller equine - we may never reach that goal, though, as funds are always tight. Maybe some day? We currently have 6 folks in our 2500 sq ft home (daughter, SIL & 2 grands are currently living in half the house) - LR, DR, Kitchen & laundry are common areas. Our middle daughter lives about 40 miles away with her family (2 adults, 3 kiddies & 1 on the way) and the youngest is engaged and living 45 miles away in the opposite direction. After we are able to successfully grow enough food for our own needs, we will consider more of a CSA and farm market selling set up. We all work full time jobs and sometimes life just gets very interesting. I have/am learning that having the garden right up by the chicken coops works best as you have much less distance to haul that wonderful compost to.

Sorry, long long story

Just got my greenhouse/chicken coop combo set. 30x14 overall with a dividing wall making the coop about 14 x 14. Putting a couple hundred feet of chain link around the back for a run. I bought a hooped greenhouse last yr that the plastic got totally destroyed in a storm. I'm going to take it, stick it in the run, cover with plastic/tarp and put 3 bins in along one side. Short one for daily compostables. After the chickies have gone through it a while, I'll move it to a bit deeper and add some deep litter to it. Let the chickies scratch in it a while. Then put it into a deeper one with more litter and cover it.

I figure this will accomplish a couple of things. A covered area that the sun will heat in the winter, wonderful compost, excitement for the chickies.

Back
Top Bottom