Composting chicken run

Pics
I have three compost bins, the first one is hot and it's where I add all the fresh compost items like poop, sawdust and grass depending on the season. The second bin is a finishing bin, the third bin I leave open for the chickens to scratch in. When the first bin gets pretty full I start the transfer from finished to bags and 2 to 3 and 1 to 2. Takes about a year to get to bin #3

JT
That's my primary method of composting too, except I don't let my chickens at any of the bins.
The run gets compost in it over time from scraps and treats I give the chickens, manure they leave there, and grass clippings, spent bedding and straw I occasionally put in there. I don't worry about harvesting the run much though. I will likely dig it up this Spring to get some of the dirt I need for new and expanded raised beds.

@BReeder! - even if you never harvest the compost, I’d suggest turning it over with a broad fork when the weather warms up.

That will keep it aerated, so it doesn’t go anaerobic...and if it’s anything like my run...provide a massive amount of worms and other creepy crawlers for your flock.

A couple fork turns a day is all it takes for a lot of chicken entertainment and a protein boost!

@BReeder! - even if you never harvest the compost, I’d suggest turning it over with a broad fork when the weather warms up.

That will keep it aerated, so it doesn’t go anaerobic...and if it’s anything like my run...provide a massive amount of worms and other creepy crawlers for your flock.

A couple fork turns a day is all it takes for a lot of chicken entertainment and a protein boost!
I have a spading fork I use for digging up potatoes. It should do the trick. The fork isn't very wide but the tines are thicker and wider for digging.

I live in Richmond, RI and have 20 Golden Comets. 7 Langshans and 42 4 month old Easter Eggers and barnyard mix chickens, i really like your method and will be trying it out in 2 of my 5 coops in the spring once the snow is gone, i have 3 compost piles in my gardens i started from my deep litter cleanout in the fall and i will spread and rototill in April, this has worked for me but i like your way better, nice to see a fellow Rhode Islander on here.

I have a spading fork I use for digging up potatoes. It should do the trick. The fork isn't very wide but the tines are thicker and wider for digging.

Yes, that should work perfectly. A couple turns a day will probably uncover enough worms to keep them happy.

Before long, the flock will come running when they see the fork! :D

I live in Richmond, RI and have 20 Golden Comets. 7 Langshans and 42 4 month old Easter Eggers and barnyard mix chickens, i really like your method and will be trying it out in 2 of my 5 coops in the spring once the snow is gone, i have 3 compost piles in my gardens i started from my deep litter cleanout in the fall and i will spread and rototill in April, this has worked for me but i like your way better, nice to see a fellow Rhode Islander on here.

Nice to see another Rhode Islander on here! Especially one interested in composting with chickens.

Sounds like we have similar sized, too. I’m guessing if you’re in Richmond, you may have more space than me, but you can do a lot in a small space.

If you want a socially distant tour of my setup when the weather warms up give me a shout. I can probably also help with sourcing food waste if you need more food/nitrogen in your piles.

Oh, I also have a rototiller... I imagine I can just till the run to turn it all over.
I have a small 10 inch tiller attachment that attaches to a 40v weed eater power head. It is perfect for things like turning over compost in the run. I used that method myself when I first started composting in the chicken run and the litter was only 4-6 inches deep. When my chicken run compost got to be 18 inches deep, the mini tiller only fluffs up the top 4 inches.

But yes, my mini tiller is faster, does a better job in tilling, and saves my back. Just make sure the chickens are not around the tiller when in use. Even using a pitchfork requires care not to accidently stab a chicken running underneath you. I prefer to do any tilling, or turning, before I let the chickens out of their coop in the morning.

If your compost is too deep, then you might get clumps of compost stuck between the tiller tines and the splash plate above the tines. That happened to me a lot and cleaning out the jam was a pain in the butt. I ended up taking off the guard and now it works much better and does not clog up all the time. I think that it is safe for digging in compost to remove the guard, but I would not recommend removing the guard if tilling in soil where there a much greater chance of throwing stones back up towards your face.

A standard garden fork used for digging would work in compost, but a better option is a 4 or 5 tine hay fork. I bought a long handle 5 tine hay fork and it is much better for working in compost than my garden fork. Dear Wife does not understand why I have a short handle 4 tine garden fork, a long handle 5 tine hay fork, and a 10 tine manure fork. I use them all, but for different jobs.

At 18 inches deep, my chicken run compost is now too deep to turn it over either manually or with a tiller. But I don't worry about it because I layer nitrogen and carbon sources as I built up the litter. It never smells.

Last edited:
Just make sure the chickens are not around the tiller when in use. Even using a pitchfork requires care not to accidently stab a chicken running underneath you. I prefer to do any tilling, or turning, before I let the chickens out of their coop in the morning.

Yes, one of my biggest accomplishments of 2020 was NEVER stabbing the chicken while turning compost in the run. The secret is to "place and step", not "stab". :)

Was outside late this afternoon delivering some bits and pieces to the pile and snapped the below pic of my “rotted down” pile...the one I’ll be sifting and using when the snow melts and the weather warms.

As you can see, it’s sizable and I’m going to be busy.

You can see part of the new piles pallet walls in the right side of the photos. The bread was stale and very hard, so I tossed it on the pile to get softened up by the freeze and melt cycle, after which it’ll keep the flock scratching the pile.
B04286A5-857F-4EF2-8C01-20F6CBB674FD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom